Where to begin?

A friend (non-US citizen) married a Venezuelan man several years ago. The marriage only exists in Venezuela, and my friend has since filed for divorce there. The husband has become an international man of mystery and cannot be located. He has dual Venezuelan and American citizenship. My friend is finding it difficult, if not impossible, to finalize the divorce because of her husband's elusive ways. I have a few questions. 1) What can she do to finalize the divorce in Venezuela? The political turmoil there is making this more difficult than it should be. 2) If she were to move to the United States and marry, could her unsettled divorce in Venezuela present legal problems down the line? Thank you for directing me to the right board.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
We're a Canadian website and so I am sorry to say don't know much about the marriage laws in the US. What I can say is that Canada has provision where someone who has spend 1 year or more without any contact with a spouse can file for divorce on those grounds, regardless of where in the world they were married. It's possible that some US states have similar laws, but I do not know which ones.

To answer your second question (as I do not know the answer to the first), not getting a divorce is not a good idea. If the pervious marriage is ever discovered the new marriage is null and void, I believe. If the US is like Canada, it recognizes legal marriages in other countries so this marriage is one that needs to be ended first.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

suad

Phone
hello I am planing to travel in France to get marriage but I need costume certificate form where can I get that