Working as a Freelancer on open work permit


New Member

My wife is currently studying in Canada and hence I will be eligible to apply for a open work permit.

With that in mind I have a couple of queries and hoping to get some clarity on the below.

1) Can I work as a freelancer/employee for a company that's based outside of Canada?
2) If the above is possible, will my experience working as a freelancer in Canada be counted during my PR application as experience within Canada?

Any help in understanding the above would be really helpful

Riley Haas

Staff member
Hi there, let me try to answer your questions:
  1. I believe you can't, but I'm not 100% sure. If this was a "closed" work permit the answer would be "absolutely not" but I'm not sure given that this is an open work permit. I still think it's highly unlikely. You should speak to a consultant or a lawyer. Immigroup can help if you like.
  2. This I'm more sure of: working for a non-Canadian employer in Canada is not what the government has in mind as "Canadian work experience." Again, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. (Again, speaking to a consultant or lawyer will get this question answered. Make sure they deal with work permits.)
Sorry about that.