Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

One more question: Is it possible to apply for renewal of my PR card when I am in Australia? I thought after reading the immigration website that you have to be in Canada to apply for renewal.

Thanks so much!

Hi Charissa,
You have to apply after it expires, as a PRTD is something you apply for only when you do not have access to a valid PR Card. The stated timeline is 2-3 weeks, but my understanding is that it varies widely by visa office.

Your PRTD is usually issued for one trip so it will normally expire once you fly back to Canada. There are two likely options:
  • Go to the Netherlands on the way
  • See if you can apply for a multiple use PRTD (if such things exist).
Hello! Thanks so much in advance for answering my question! I really do appreciate it!!

I am planning to go to Australia for a year as of December 2018. My PR card will expire in October 2019. I will be leaving Australia in December 2019. Do I apply for a PRTD at a visa office in Australia before or after my PR card expires? How long will it generally take to get a PRTD after I apply?

One more question: after I come back to Canada from Australia, I need to go to the Netherlands right away ( I am a Dutch Citizen) to pick up my dog and bring him back to Canada. Is this possible or do they take away my PRTD as soon as I come back to Canada? If so, would the alternative be to travel to the Netherlands right from Australia and then enter Canada from the Netherlands with my PRTD from Australia??? Is that allowed??

Thanks again so much for helping me out here!!

Kindest regards,

Express Entry / Re: Express Entry - GCKey Profile
« Last post by Riley Haas on June 07, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
You have to provide them from your current country of residence plus places you have lived a certain amount of time (I can't remember off the top of my head). Here is the page:
Express Entry / Re: Express Entry - GCKey Profile
« Last post by anoosha145 on June 07, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »
Thank you for your response, Riley. 
Regarding "police certificate", do we (The primary applicant and spouse) need to provide certificates from our current country of residence only or anywhere we have lived? Where could I find this info.
Criminal Rehabilitation / Re: deemed rehab confirmation
« Last post by Riley Haas on June 06, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Well it's up to them if you're deemed rehabilitated, so you have to come prepared. You will need proof of when your sentence ended and anything you've done in the interim to demonstrate you're rehabilitated.
Criminal Rehabilitation / deemed rehab confirmation
« Last post by fkamal77 on June 06, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »

I was convicted of 1 count of felony back in 2002 in the US. I want to apply for CA immigration. Given the criteria for deemed rehabilitation, I can consider myself deemed rehabilitated, but how can I get 100% proof of this. If CBSA ask at any port of entry, i don't have any thing to show them that proves i am deemed rehabilitated
Express Entry / Re: Express Entry - GCKey Profile
« Last post by Riley Haas on June 06, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
You are not in the applicant pool yet. Profiles in the applicant pool are valid for 12 months.
Whatever he does, he should not overstay.

One of the things you could try is you could travel to the US together and he can re-enter at the end. There is no time limit for the trip but an actual trip is better than just going shopping for the day. The border guard will determine his length of entry allowed, which could be 6 months, but it could also be less. This depends on the guard but there used to be a rumoured entryformula regarding Americans (not other citizens, unfortunately), which was something along the lines of:
  • First entry: Six months
  • Second entry in the same year: 3 months
  • Third entry in the same year: come back next year and depending when you come back, admittance would be based on how long you were out of Canada.
Like I said, this was rumoured to apply to Americans so the assumption is it was stricter for non-Americans. Still, if this is at all correct, he should be admitted for at least 3 months when you re-enter. (There's no telling for sure until you try, though.)

Once you get the marriage certificate you can submit the inland sponsorship application and then he does not need to worry about overstaying.

This is the best option I know of, but keep in mind I'm just the forum admin.
Express Entry / Express Entry - GCKey Profile
« Last post by anoosha145 on June 05, 2018, 09:14:41 PM »
Hi All,

I checked my eligibility for Canadian Express Entry, the system provided me a GCKey number that I used to create my profile. I have not completed my application yet, I saved it and exited out for now, but I got a message that said my profile was valid for 60 days including today-the date I created the application. My question is, does this mean my incomplete application is already submitted and I am now in the applicant pool? Or will the system allow me to complete my application and submit later? I didn't click any "submit" buttons, but only "Save and exit". Please share your knowledge.

Thank you!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10