Sponsor of a Mexican

  • 1 Replies


  • Newbie
  • *
  • 1
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Sponsor of a Mexican
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
Ive been reading a lot about this lately and Ive cleared up some of my questions but I still have a few doubts and would love to get some advice.

I am Mexican and my fianc is Canadian, weve been in a relationship for two and a half years now and we just recently got engaged. We obviously want to get married soon, I have a multiple entry visa so Ive been visiting for a couple months at a time whenever I get holidays. Right now I am in Canada but we dont know what to do. Ive read that I need a lot of documents from my country so I am thinking about going back to get them and then get married here in Canada.

I would like to know:
1. Once a Permanent Residence Application has been sent, if it is sent while Im in Mexico, would I be able to come and visit him?
2. Who should send the application? Should he send it from Canada or should I send it from Mexico?
3. If the application is sent from Canada while Im in Canada, how can I stay legally here while we get approved? Do I just apply for an open work permit and wait to get approved so I dont have to go back to Mexico?
4. If we send the application while were both in Canada, would I be able to leave the country at all?

Thank you so much in advance!


Riley Haas

  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • *****
  • 1591
  • +18/-0
    • View Profile
    • Google+
Re: Sponsor of a Mexican
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »
Let me try to answer your questions:
  • You could, but you will need a visitor visa and, more importantly, you will need to show that you will leave at the end of the visa validity, i.e. you will have to prove your ties to Mexico. Currently "overseas" sponsorship processing time for Mexico City is 2+17 months, and most visitor visas are good for 6 months entry or less.
  • You need to complete the application together (there are parts you have to complete individually, and parts you have to complete together). It is submitted in Canada.
  • This is known as "inland" sponsorship. If you go that route, you can apply for an "open" work or study permit at the same time as the sponsorship. These applications are being processed on a priority basis, with a 6 weeks often. "Open" means you can work for just about anyone, or study just about anywhere. http://www.immigroup.com/news/work-or-study-canada-while-you-wait-your-sponsorship-application-be-approved
  • You could leave the country, but my understanding is that you may need a visa to travel back to Canada, if you're visa's expired already. Not 100% sure about that.
Hope this helps.


Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58