Biometrics for UK Passport and British Biometrics Application

Srenaud

Hi, I have determine that I am (I believe) a British citizen by descent (born between 1983 and 2006; father born in the UK; parents married before my birth; mother is Canadian). Going through the gov.uk website, I saw that I can apply online to get my British citizenship and can use the same process to obtain a first adult passport. However, after digging more on the website, there is mention about providing biometrics information which has to be done from the UK. That got me confused. How can I be expected to apply for a British citizenship and a British passport from Canada when it instead requires that I be in the UK to deal with the biometrics? Thanks for your answer.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you are a British citizen. You shouldn't have to apply for British citizenship, just the passport.

Can you post the link for the biometrics so I can have a look? I haven't heard of this but maybe it's a new requirement.

Srenaud

Thanks for the response.

I saw the need to produce biometric in Section 4, pp. 15-17, on the form accessible under the "Get your UK Passport" link at the bottom of the page available at https://www.immigroup.com/news/get-your-uk-passport-if-your-dad-was-born-uk-new-rules

I also have to have 1 of my reference to be the holder of a British citizen passport and not a relative. This will be a challenge since a don't have any friends or acquaintance in the UK, other than family members.

What is the benefit of requesting a British citizenship (since this option is available to citizen by descent on the gov.uk website) on top and above the passport? Is there an advantage if I want to look for work and confirmed to an employer that I am a British citizen and do not require a work permit?

Thanks.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, that's for registration, a process you don't have to go through, as far as I can tell from what you've told me.

I believe you are able to use a Canadian reference.

There is no advantage to "request" British citizenship. These are two different processes. And I apologize for the following because it gets complicated:

The children of British citizens could only inherit citizenship in specific cases in the past. Prior to 1983 it was only through a British father. Children of British fathers could just apply for passports. When the law changed it meant that there were all these children of British mothers who couldn't previously get passports who were now able to. The registration process was developed for them.

But still, prior to 2006, there were restrictions: specifically marriage. If the child of an unmarried British father born before 2006 wants a UK passport they also normally have to register first (though there are exceptions).

But if you were born to a married British parent after 1983, you can just apply for the passport. It's way easier and less expensive than the other route.

Make sense?