Can I apply for an English passport?

dmiley

I was born in Germany in 1961. My mother was a German citizen. In 1960 she was an au pair working in Windsor England when she met my biological British father. She returned to Germany unaware that she was pregnant. She subsequently married a US serviceman and until 2018 I was unaware of my true parentage. Can I apply for and receive English citizenship? Thank you for your assistance.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
You should be able to but you will have to Register as a British Citizen first. You will have to prove your biological father is your biological father to the satisfaction of the UK passport authorities.

dmiley

Hello Riley,

Through DNA I have discovered my family in England. I have three sisters and two brothers. My father David Clarke passed in 1993. How should one proceed from here.

Thank you for the reply and your assistance.

Regards,
David

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So what you need is a birth certificate showing he's your father or, in lieu of that, something else they will accept as proof of parentage. (I am sorry to say I am not the person to tell you what that could be, but my guess would be an official DNA test of some kind because I suspect you cannot get a declaration of paternity since he is no longer alive, though I could very well be wrong about that).

You will have to submit this to Register as a British citizen because your birth was prior to 2006.