Canadian Wanting to Sponsor a Retired American Spouse

Rosie

Hello! Hoping you can help point me in the right direction. I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in the US for 13 years since marrying an American citizen. I did receive American citizenship several years ago as well. My husband has now retired and I want to move back to Canada and sponsor him. From the reading I've done, it appears it would be best if I moved back to Canada first but that would be difficult as we cannot afford to maintain 2 separate homes while the application is processed. Would it work if I moved in with a friend back in Canada rather than renting someplace? And if I did that, would I be able to come back down to the US and be with him for the bulk of the application processing time? Or is there a time requirement that must be spent in Canada? If I sponsor him from here, I don't know how I could prove intent to move back once approval is received unless the fact that my entire family still lives in Canada helps? Really looking for the best way to go about this and any information would be greatly appreciated!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rosie,
There is no requirement for you to be in Canada. There is, however, the expectation that you will settle in Canada. It's one thing to intend that, it's another to demonstrate it to IRCC. It's usually things like property ownership or awaiting jobs that are used as proof. In your case, I'm not exactly sure what you could use
The alternative is that you move here first. AS an American, you husband can enter Canada easier than most. The onus would then be to prove to the CBSA officer (a different agency within the Canadian government) that your husband would not stay if the sponsorship application was refused.
Either way, there's a hurdle.

Rosie

Thank you for your response. I'm now wondering if I declare to Revenue Canada that I reside in Canada again as of xxx date, living with a friend, would that be proof enough? It would put me back on the taxpayer list! Many people don't own property and lots of them are retired too, so there must be some way to do this.......

I didn't think we could just move there first. We can't just appear at the border with all our belongings and risk being refused entry.

Edited to clarify: just looking back on my initial post, I realize I may not have been clear. If I move back to Canada, with my belongings, and move in with a friend taking a Canadian address and changing all my correspondence to that Canadian address, does that not show proof that I will live in Canada? If I make that move in advance, I would go ahead and get a Canadian phone plan and switch all my business to Canadian banking, etc. I would just be coming back to the US for extended visits with my husband.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
That is something we haven't tried, as far as I know. If you can get some kind of letter from CRA saying you are now resident again, maybe that would work. If your friend could get your name on the lease, that might work (but then, wouldn't they want to know why you were sharing an apartment?). The bank accounts would certainly help. Unfortunately it's at the discretion of the officer so there's no way to know a definitive standard or proof.

To be clear, it would only be your husband risking being refused entry - you can enter whenever you feel like it - but yes, that's the risk of coming here together.