Eligibility period for citizenship

Naton35

Hello everyone,

I am using the online calculator to confirm if I am eligible to apply for citizenship which I am now. My eligibility period is 02 May 2015-02 May 2020, I landed in Canada on 19 March 2016 and become a protected person on 23 June 2016 then PR on 13 March 2018. I am confused on one point and would like some opinions just to make sure I am not doing anything wrong, on the question did you travel outside Canada during your eligibility period ( 02 may 2015-02 May 2020) on the online calculator I said no. Since 19 March 2016, I did not travel outside Canada and from 02 May 2015 to 18 March 2016, I was in my home country before I directly travel and live in Canada until today. The calculator is showing me that time spent outside is zero. My question is, am I doing this correctly? I also tried to change my answer to Yes and put time spent outside Canada ( 2 May 2015-18 March 2016 ) the calculator still showing me total time spent outside is zero.
What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
What matters in terms of the citizenship application is time spent outside of Canada since you've been a PR (i.e. since March 13 2018). Time spent outside of Canada before you had any status in Canada is irrelevant. The time you spent in Canada as a protected person without PR status is assessed as half days, as you probably already know.