Help with British citizenship please.

BEBRITISH

My father is a British citizen. He was born as a British subject in Indian in 1943. He moved to England in 1962, and obtained his citizenship. He later moved to the US where my siblings and I were born, each of us would like to obtain our British citizenship. My siblings and I were born in the following years, 1975, 1980, and 1996. Could you kindly explain if we are eligible for this citizenship and if so how we could obtain it. Thank you very much.

-Isa

kt78

My father was born in one of the commonwealth country, he had a British subject passport around 1950, before it was independence country. if I born in different country in 1958, could I obtain British citizenship? and if so, how do I start?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Probably not without immigrating.

What counts is where your father was at independence. If he was living in this country at the time of independence, he probably became a citizen of the new country and, at that point, lost his British subject status.

kt78

My father never came back to live in the country he born, he probably leave around 1948....?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, that's good news for you. It likely means he didn't lose his British citizenship when the country became independent. Do you have any of his old passports?

kt78

Great, yes, I do have one of his my dad passport....just do not know what would be the first step to apply?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Can you tell me the 3 letter code on the passport? It should start with G.

You will need your birth certificate listing your father (a "long form" in many countries), you will need the most recent passport of your father's and you will need your parents' marriage certificate (seriously). And then you may be able to directly apply for a UK passport, depending upon what that three letter code says.

kt78

Start with "C" and following up with 6 numbers. National status in the passport: "British Subject; citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies". and in the top of the passport stated: Passport-United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely we can. However, if you need to send hard copies of your documents you should specify to our office that you will send them directly to Durham, UK yourself. Sending them here first would be a waste of money.

kt78

Perfect. One more thing, instead sending the documents to Durham, UK, can I send it somewhere in Panama city, Panama?, like the British consulate or this passport need to be apply online as you link you sent me?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect the answer is no. The UK has drastically reduced its overseas passport processing, and probably outright eliminated it. To use Canada as an example: at one point all Canadian UK passport applications were accepted in Ottawa, then in Washington and now in Durham. The UK eliminated those jobs. I have to assume the same is true for every country in the world but I don't know for sure.