Marrying a Colombian

Eric

Hi,

I am a 26 year old Canadian man. I want to marry my Colombian girlfriend. She is 25, lives in Colombia, and we have been in a serious long distance relationship for about 1.5 years. We are both single, no children, have never been married.

I have read the due process in terms of proving to the Colombian government who I am, what I am, and also paying the 1300 fee. However, she has a 6 month, 10 year TRV to USA and Canada already. The 10-12 month timeline for sponsorship approvals is very long. I just lived with her in Colombia for 6 months while she continued to work and save money. However, I want to keep living in Canada, and I want her here with me. She wants to be here with me as well. Is it possible to fast-track the 10-12 months, so that we would not have to go back to Colombia together half way through the approval process? Is it at all possible she can stay in Canada for that time period, without getting a work or study permit? As a side, she is currently enrolling for a masters application in Vancouver, but, we are not sure if she will get accepted.

Thank you very much for any response, thankfully for me I am self-employed and can work in Colombia. However, it would be in Canada's best interest to keep us both here, and find a way to remove the increasingly difficult barriers to entry which result in large amounts of economic drain.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eric,
It is impossible to fast track these applications.

Your best option is to hope your girlfriend gets accepted into that master's program and gets a study permit. That would resolve the situation. If that doesn't happen, you have a few other options:
  • she can apply for a second visitor visa when her visitor visa is about to expire;
  • you two can marry when she comes to visit you in Canada on the current visa and then, when you submit the sponsorship application, you can also submit a work permit application and, provided you are approved to sponsor her, she will get a work permit in about 2 months - please note though that this version of the sponsorship process takes 22 months;

Hope this helps.

Riley

Eric

This definitely helps! I had no idea she could even apply for a second visitor's visa! Thank you Riley, best regards.