Missing document - Birth Certificate

Abby123

Hello,

I'm sponsoring my Cuban husband to Canada.
I have all the documents sent out. No issues there, however, the Canadian government wants my husband's child's birth certificate.
His son is 3 years old.
The mother of the child wants nothing to do with his father, my husband, how can I produce that document? Will my application be refused if I don't provide the B.C.?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
I do not know the rules for birth certificates in Cuba, but I wonder if he can apply for a certified copy of it instead of having to get the original from the mother to get that copied. Would that be a possibility?
If there is no other way of getting the birth certificate, you could write a letter explaining the situation, but I still think there would still be major issues. Canada, like many countries, takes child abduction very, very seriously and will want proof that he is the father, particularly if the child is part of the sponsorship application. (Any child left off a sponsorship application can never be sponsored in the future.)

Abby123

Hi Riley,

They have sent me an email asking for renunciation letter...is there a form online I can fill out or can I have a notary to make me a sworn document?
I can email it to my husband and he can sign it and send it back to me.

If I get this renunciation letter which will state he is losing his right to sponsor his son in the future... do I still have to produce the B.C?...my guess is yes..as you mentioned, they want to ensure they can see he is the father.

Thank you for your time.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Did instructions come with the letter about whether or not it must be sworn?

I'm sorry to say I don't know the answer to either of these questions, they are consultant questions. I've never seen the renunciation latter myself.

My guess bout the birth certificate is that he would not have to provide it, but I can't swear to it.