Not enough time for Inland Sponsorship

chery067

Hello

First let me provide some background.

My new husband was married to a Canadian for 20 yrs and never was sponsored, his marriage was complicated.

Last November his wife passed away and he has been up here dealing with the estate ect, during this time we met due to my profession and business card being in his late wife's card file. We have been living together 24x7 for about 5 months now. I know it is unusual but we feel in love and actually got married here in Ontario after serious considerations and discussion.

I want to go the Inland Sponsorship route but his U.S visa will run out in April and he will have to cross over.

We can fill out the Inland Forms and send them in with fees ect but there will not be enough time for the application / or my sponsorship to be approved, thus allowing him to stay here during processing.

Question should we submit the Inland application with only a copy of the signed marriage document "Civil Ceremony w/ justice of peace" before his visa expires and if so will the proof of delivery allow him to stay until my sponsorship is approved?

Other thought is to submit Inland with only the above mentioned marriage document copy and cross the border and come back in and declare our intention and hope for the re-entry with dual intent?

Other thought is to not declare the marriage and let him try to re-enter on grounds of cleaning out my garage as he has stored a lot of items, appliances etc to be sold in a garage sale ASAP and then apply for Inland with more time to obtain sponsorship approval.

Any help and or suggestions would be welcomed.

thank you

tom / cheryl

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
When you sponsor him "inland", he can apply for an "open" work permit or study permit at the time of the application. The "open" part means he doesn't need a job offer or acceptance from a school in order to get the permit. (Normally he would require that.) From my understanding this solves your problem. Does it?

You need a lot more than just a marriage certificate to apply fora sponsorship. They have to believe your relationship is genuine, so that means you will have to write a letter explaining the story of how you met, you will have to provide other clues as to your relationship (the fact that you have been living together, shared bills/accounts, communication records, etc.).

Hope this helps.

chery067

Thank You Riley

If we mail the completed Inland Forms today will the proof of delivery be enough for my husband to remain in Canada until they accept me as a sponsor and or process his open work visa. It is my understanding from other threads on this form that I really need confirmation of approved sponsorship for him to stay past his standard 6 month visa.

Pro and Cons of border crossing - Would it be advisable to submit our Inland forms now and then cross over and back with the hope Canada border will allow or honor a dual intent to sponsor since we did get married in Ontario?

Alternative would be to not submit the Inland forms and cross over and come back "hopefully" on the grounds he has un-finished business with his late wifes affairs. This would by enough time to submit the Inland forms, however I suspect if one changes to an alternative story at the border it could become most pleasant for them.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
I'm a little confused. Is he an American citizen? What's his citizenship? You mentioned a US visa earlier and so I assumed he was neither Canadian nor American. If it's his Canadian visa that is expiring in April, that is not something I can answer. I will see if I can get one of our consultatnts to answer that question for you.

As for the border crossing, all I can say to you is absolutely answer the questiones honestly. If he gets caught not being honest about his intentions, that can result in far bigger problems than being refused an entry visa into Canada.

chery067

Yes, he is an American citizen.

Any other options for crossing the border as his six month visitation is up in April and I do want him to be able to come back to Canada on another visitation 6 month so that I can get the acceptance as his sponsor.

Thank you.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry we haven't got back to you yet. Have you thought of applying for a visitor visa extension from inside of Canada?