Obtaining UK citizenship under new laws (British father, unmarried parents)?

Willow

Hello,

I was born in 1974 in Canada to a Canadian mother and British father. My parents never married. I understand that the laws have recently changed that may allow me to obtain UK citizenship. However, I am finding the process quite confusing and can't seem to figure out which group I fall under (as described here.) I'm primarily trying to determine if I need to pay the hefty application fee or not.

I have a copy of my birth certificate showing my father's name and listing England as his place of birth. I also have his birth certificate. However, the application asks for one of the following:

His certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies; or
Papers showing his legal adoption; or
His expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport

My father left when I was a child and hasn't been heard from since, so I have no way of obtaining any of these documents that I know of. Is there any point in applying without the supplemental document, or will my application be rejected outright?

I really appreciate any advice you all can share. :)

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Willow,
Since you don't have the expired passport, you will have to use the birth certificate. (This should substitute in lieu of a certificate of naturalisation since your father never naturalised in the UK.) You should indicate somewhere that you do not have the passport.
Do you know the year your father immigrate to Canada?

Riley

Willow

Riley Haas said:
Hi Willow,
Since you don't have the expired passport, you will have to use the birth certificate. (This should substitute in lieu of a certificate of naturalisation since your father never naturalised in the UK.) You should indicate somewhere that you do not have the passport.
Do you know the year your father immigrate to Canada?

Riley
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

The application form makes it sound like I must supply both documents. So there may be some flexibility there?

Unfortunately I don't know exactly when he came to Canada, just that it was some time before 1973.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
Well, the more evidence the better, but since you don't have his passport, there's not much you can do on that front. You could provide a copy of his death certificate as proof as to why you don't have a copy of his passport...

The reason I asked about when he came is because UK citizenship laws have jumped around a lot. I think whenever he came he would have retained his citizenship, I cannot see why he wouldn't have, so you should be okay.

Willow

Riley Haas said:
Hi again,
Well, the more evidence the better, but since you don't have his passport, there's not much you can do on that front. You could provide a copy of his death certificate as proof as to why you don't have a copy of his passport...

The reason I asked about when he came is because UK citizenship laws have jumped around a lot. I think whenever he came he would have retained his citizenship, I cannot see why he wouldn't have, so you should be okay.
I'm not sure if he's alive or not (like I said, he left when I was a child.) I don't know where he went, so a death certificate is not something I would know where to look for, if he is deceased.

Does anyone have any ideas on my other question -- which of the groups I would apply under?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
My apologies. I must have missed that. So then you can go with the birth certificate alone, I guess.

You definitely want the UKF form.

portable

hi, everyone. sorry to post on someone's request.
but I noticed his question hast being answered. which category does he belong?
I have the same problem, don't know where to start and if am paying the registration fee.
''born outside the uk in the 70's to a British father by registration, I have his last British passport, registration certificate, death certificate. he was named on my birth certificate issued within 12 months of birth, also on baptismal certificate, a lot of pictures showing he is my father (graduation, etc) listed on some of my educational documents, even on all my uk visa applications in the past, has sponsored my vacation trip before''
my challenge is which category do I belong, pay reg fee or only ceremony fee.
a prompt reply will be appreciated. and is anyone undergoing the process right now

thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Was your father registered as a British citizen? Is that what you mean? Or was he born into it and did not have to register? Also, do you know his nationality status? I.e. what does his passport say on the front?

Riley

portable

@ Riley Haas
yes he was registered as a British citizen and i have the registration certificate. he was British before he died. his passports says ''European union, untied kingdom or great Britain and northern Ireland''

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So another question for you, and pardon the personal nature of it: were your parents married at the time of your birth? If they were not, you will probably have to register first. If they were, I think you can go ahead and apply for a passport. (I think.)

portable

they were not married so i think i will have to register too under the new law using form ukf. problem is i dont know which category i belong. to pay the reg fee or not to pay.
thanks