queries regarding PR visa for applicant vs spouse

Harry sidhu

Hi There,

I have following question that I need guidance

1) After getting PR visa under EE federal skilled worker category ,in how much time do we have to reach Canada . Is there any time limit on Visa before which 1st Canada visit is required
2) Is there any difference between visa for spouse and applicant . Do spouse needs to travel with applicant for arriving in Canada
2) What is the requirement to renew PR visa once it gets expired . How long at least should we have to stay in Canada to renew the PR visa once it gets expired after 5 years? .

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Harry,
Let me try to answer your questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Yes, there is a time limit. It's usually the date your medical clearance would expire. It can, in some circumstances, be extended.
[*]You can travel separately if you would prefer, though you will likely face more questions at the port of entry.
[*]If you're referring to the PR visa, if it expires, it expires and you have to apply through EE all over again. However, if you are referring to the PR Card (proof of your permanent residence), you do not have to renew it when it expires, as it is just a status document, not your actual status. But you need it to travel outside of Canada. In order to successfully renew your PR Card (and preserve your status) you need to stay in Canada 2 out of every 5 years (or 730 days).[/list]

Hope this helps.
[/list]