renewing study permit

sonya.filimonova

I have studied in canada for 2 years but I have to take next year off for personal reasons. My college allows me to enroll into third year for autumn 2016 without me having to reapply. Unfortunantely, my fourth year of study wont be covered by my study permit anymore.

When woul be the best time to renew the permit: right after i enroll back or before fourth year starts?

Also one more question: I would like to make a short visit to Canada sometime this year (I am currently not in Canada), but I'm afraid it will jeopardize my chances for renewal. I know I have to leave the country in 90 days after the end of my studies, but I want to make sure before I cancel the tickets.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sonya,
If you can visit Canada before your current study permit expires, that would be ideal. That way, you can renew within Canada, which is a much easier process than renewing from your home country.
In order to renew successfully, you are going to have to make a "submission" concerning the circumstances of your situation - why you are taking the year off, that your school will be allowing you to re-enroll in Autumn 2016, and so forth. If you are unsure how to do this, our consultations are CAD$84.75 (and you can do it over skype). We submit a lot of study permits and this is something we have a good deal of expertise in (the consultants, not me, I'm just the webmaster), so if you need help with the letter, we would be the people to talk to.
If you don't want to pay for assistance, just make sure you give as much detail as you can; the burden of proof is on you to prove to the officer that your situation requires you to take a year off and that you will return and that you will continue your studies.

Hope this helps.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my understanding is that your student permit lets you study, your visa (should you need one), is a separate matter. Are you from a country where you required to get a visa in addition to your study permit?