Renouncing PR delays ETA

Bellap

I applied for an ETA in July and then sent info to renounce PR. I submitted application to renounce 5 weeks ago and have not had a response. I had not been expecting this delay. I am due to travel from Aus with my 20yr old Canadian son in September. He is relocating and wanting to accompany to support him and be with my stepdaughter and grandchildren. Planning a 6month stay.
I believe that I can enter Canada based on having immediate family.
I can't seem to find any information on processing time for renouncing PR.
Any ideas how long this might take?
I have been advised they are only processing individuals who fit the exemption criteria? Should I be submitting evidence, is, son's passport, proof of relationship to stepdaughters??

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As you allude to, the border is mostly closed: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#er2

Much of Canadian immigration/entry policy in Canada is discretionary. So you can believe you fit the exemption but somebody has to judge that you do. In order to meet that exemption, you have to prove you do.

I have no idea how the pandemic is affecting the processing of PR renouncements, but I can guess that it's one of the lowest priorities. Did you apply by paper? All paper applications are delayed far more than online ones.

Hope this helps.

Bellap

As you allude to, the border is mostly closed: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#er2

Much of Canadian immigration/entry policy in Canada is discretionary. So you can believe you fit the exemption but somebody has to judge that you do. In order to meet that exemption, you have to prove you do.

I have no idea how the pandemic is affecting the processing of PR renouncements, but I can guess that it's one of the lowest priorities. Did you apply by paper? All paper applications are delayed far more than online ones.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your reply.
I applied online as requested following my ETA request. I have lodged a few web forms explaining I have immediate family and will be travelling with my Canadian son and had planned on going in September, not anticipating this lengthy delay in renouncing.
I am wondering if it would be worth supplying evidence in the form of my son's passport, his birth certificate and stepdaughters passports and letters verifying our relationship?