- Located in Central Europe, northwest of Romania
- It is mildly cold, cloudy and humid during winter in Hungary, the summers are warm. Flooding is prevalent in Hungary.
Marriage to a Hungarian Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Hungarian citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Hungarian spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our eTA article.
See a sample Sponsorship Application
How We Can Help You Marry Your Hungarian Fiance
To discuss the process to marry a citizen of Hungary, contact us for a consultation. We can determine your eligibility to apply for permission to marry a Hungarian as well as advise you how you can prove you meet the requirements.
Immigroup will assist you throughout the entire application process from start to finish, including:
- Determining your eligibility to apply;
- Determining the likelihood of success for your particular case;
- Ensuring your forms are complete and accurately reflect the details of your case for maximum chance of success;
- Ensuring you have the necessary and appropriate documents to support your application;
- Providing guidance on the best method to submit your application to the Hungarian government for your circumstances;
- Advising the privileges a Hungarian Marriage document affords you;
- Offering Top Priority service for extremely urgent cases;
- Determining the best way to proceed once the outcome of your case is reached (applying for family sponsorship, applying for a visitor visa for your Hungarian partner, re-application if necessary, etc.)
Contact us for a consultation to assist you with the Hungarian marriage process.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Hungarian spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
An eTa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes is instantaneous if approved.
Costs of the Process
To learn about the costs of the sponsorship process, click here.
Other Fees - Disbursement Fees
Because the only language recognized in Hungary is Hungarian, documents must all be translated into Hungarian to be included in an application. Documents are also sent to Hungary and Hungarian embassies by courier to ensure security, confidentiality, and confirmation of delivery. These costs are known as disbursement fees and are unique to each case; however the total is typically less than $500 Canadian dollars.
Hungarian Marriage Basic Requirements
In order to marry a citizen of Hungary, you must demonstrate to the Hungarian government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:
- Proof of country of birth
- Proof of single status
- Proof of age requirement
If your Hungarian spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Hungarian Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Hungarian citizen.
List of Hungarian Consulates in Canada
Calling Hungary from Canada
- The country code is 36
- Landlines: dial 011 – 36 – area code – local number
- Cells: Cells use one of four two-digit prefixes: dial 011- 36 - 20 / 30 / 31 / 70 - local number
Area Codes for major centres in Hungary
Calling Canada from Hungary
Dial 00 - 1 - area code - local number
Area Codes of Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Hungary is on Central European Time (GMT+1). Hungary uses Daylight Saving Time so for most of the year the time difference does not change. However, there are brief periods in late October and late March when North America is on DST and Europe is not, and at those times the time difference is one hour shorter. Saskatchewan does not participate in DST so the time difference is one hour greater in the summer.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Hungary is Ahead
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||9 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||8 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario, Saskatchewan*)||7 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||6 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Hungary
Embassy of Canada in Budapest
Ganz utca 12-14
Telephone: 36 (1) 392-3360
Canadian Government's Travel Alerts for Hungary
Sponsoring Your Hungarian Spouse
Want to know more about marrying in Hungary? Let us know!