Marriage to a Mauritian Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Mauritian citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Mauritian spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Mauritian spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Mauritian Marriage Basic Requirements
- The non-citizen should have resided in Mauritius for a continuous period of at least 7 days before publication.
- The publication of a proposed civil marriage between a non-citizen and a citizen of Mauritius is made only at the Central Civil Status Office in Port Louis.
- The civil marriage shall take place at the Central Civil Status Office after a period of 10 days as from the date of publication.
- Two witnesses are required to be present at time of the marriage ceremony.
Documents to be produced for non-citizen
- Birth certificates.
- Divorce documents if applicable.
- Death/marriage certificates if widow/widower.
- A certificate or certificates issued by the competent authorities or his/her country of residence attesting that he/she is of good character and is not the suspect in relation to any pending criminal proceedings, investigation or process. However, in case his/her country does not issue certificates of good character, the non-citizen can produce instead an affidavit certifying to the matters as specified above, sworn and duly authenticated in accordance with the law of his/her country of residence.
- An affidavit sworn before the Master and Registrar of the Supreme Court of Mauritius, as well as a certificate from his/her country of residence, attesting that he/she is in gainful employment or, alternatively, has sufficient means to maintain himself/herself and
- Medical certificate attesting that he/she is not suffering from any infections or contagious disease.
- Both parties should disclose to each other whether they are HIV positive or have AIDS.
All documents to be submitted in original copies duly authenticated and photocopies.
Documents to be produced for Mauritian citizen
- Birth certificate issued within the last three months.
- Divorce documents if applicable.
- Certificate of citizenship if applicable
- Death/Marriage certificate(s) if widow/widower
- National Identity Card
List of Mauritian Consulates in Canada
Calling Mauritius from Canada
Dial 011 - 230- local number, where
- 011 is the exit code for Canada
- 230 is the country code for Mauritius
- Mauritius does not use area codes
Calling Canada from Mauritius
Dial 00 - 1 - area code - local number
Area Codes of Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Mauritius Time is GMT+4. Mauritius does not observe Daylight Saving Time due to its proximity to the equator.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Mauritius is Ahead
# of Hours during DST
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||12 hours||11 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||11 hours||10 hours|
|Saskatchewan||10 hours||10 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||10 hours||9 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||9 hours||8 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||8 hours||7 hours|
|Newfoundland||7.5 hours||6.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Mauritius
Consulate of Canada in Port Louis
18 Jules Koenig Street
Telephone: (230) 212-5500
High Commission of Canada in Pretoria
1103 Arcadia Street
Telephone: 27 (12) 422-3000
Travel Alerts from the Government of Canada for Mauritius
Sponsoring Your Mauritian Spouse to Canada
The sponsorship process is complicated and lengthy. Learn more about it by clicking the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in Mauritius? Let us know!