Marriage to a Rwandan Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Rwandan citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Rwandan spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Rwandan spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Rwandan Marriage Basic Requirements
Engaged couple must bring:
- An “Attestation de Celibat” or certification of singleness, to sector officials; (Canadian marrying Rwandans may request this at the Canadian Embassy but the Embassy cannot vouch for individuals’ singleness, the Embassy can only notarize their own sworn statements.)
- Rwandan officials don’t typically verify individuals’ eligibility to marry; this is more of a formality and deception or fraud would generally be dealt with by the couple themselves;
- Couples also must show their birth certificates;
- Couples also must publish a “bans of marriage” announcing their intention for 21 days;
- If there are no objections, the couple marries and the sector officials provide a pink “Livret de Marriage” (applies to post-1994 marriages);
- Couples can request an “Attestation de Marriage” for a small fee, but this only identifies the couple and the issuing authority;
- An “Acte de Marriage” is a more detailed document issued at the sector level which goes back and confirms the original registration.
If your Rwandan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Rwandan Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Rwandan citizen.
List of Rwandan Consulates in Canada
Calling Rwanda from Canada
011 - 250 - Area, Cell or Satellite code - local number, where
- 011 is the exit code for the North American Numbering Plan
- 250 is the country code for Rwanda
Landlines, Cells and Satellites:
- For landlines the format is 011 - 250 - 25x - local number
- For Cellular phones the format is 011 - 250 - 7xx - local number
- For Satellite phones the form is 011 - 250 - 06 - local number
Calling Canada from Rwanda
00 - 1 - Area Code - local number
Follow the dialling format shown above while calling Canada from Rwanda.
- 00- Exit code for Rwanda, and is needed for making any international call from Rwanda
- 1 - ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
List of Area Codes in Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Rwanda is on Central African Time (GMT+2). Rwanda does not participate in Daylight Saving Time due to its proximity to the equator.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Rwanda is Ahead
# of Hours during DST
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||10 hours||9 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunavut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||9 hours||8 hours|
|Saskatchewan||8 hours||8 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||8 hours||7 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||7 hours||6 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||6 hours||5 hours|
|Newfoundland||5.5 hours||4.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Rwanda
Office of the High Commission for Canada in Kigali
1534 Akagera Street
Telephone: 250 252 573 210 or 252 573 278
Canadian Government's Travel Alerts for Rwanda
Sponsoring a Rwandan to come to Canada
The sponsorship process is long and can be difficult. To learn more about it, click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in Rwanda? Let us know