Marriage to a Sudanese Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Sudanese citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Sudanese spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Sudanese Marriage Basic Requirements
In order to marry a citizen of Sudan, you must demonstrate to the Sudanese government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:
- Proof of country of birth
- Proof of single status
- Proof of age requirement
Marrying in Sudan
If you are planning to marry your Sudanese spouse in Sudan and sponsor him or her to Canada, then you have come to the right place. This page provides basic details that as a Canadian you need to know before travelling to Sudan to marry your Sudanese spouse and sponsor him or her for permanent residency.
Marriage in Sudan
Canadian nationals wishing to obtain information about marriage or civil partnership in Sudan must contact the relevant local authority to be sure of the requirements that they need in order for their ceremony to go ahead.
The Non-Muslims Marriage Act 1926, states that the following requirements and documentation be fulfilled
The procedure must be done by the concerned parties in person.
- Obtain a certificate of no impediment from their embassy, i.e. if the couples are from different countries then the approval shall be obtained from both concerned embassies.
- Present an application to the “Non-Muslims Personal Status Court” called Marriage Permeation accompanied by a copy of the passports for the concerned parties. Such procedure could take two weeks and could stretch to more than a month, from the date of submission depending on the investigations that will take place by the concerned local authorities. The governmental fee for such procedure is 300 USDs.
After obtaining the approval from the “Non-Muslims Personal Status Court” then the authorized couple may have a church wedding.
The church wedding certificate must be handed to the above mentioned court, again, to be approved with the court seal.
How to obtain a Certificate of no impediment
- Full Birth certificate or certified copy
- Valid passport and residency permit
- Evidence of termination of any previous marriage ( decree Absolute / Death certificate )
- Current fee in local currency. ( see table of fees )
- Applicant to swear an Affidavit
- Notice of marriage to be displayed at the embassy for 21 days without objection
- Certificate of No Impediment then issued.
Marriage contract / Certificate
- An Islamic marriage contract / certificate can be provided by the Mosque or the Registrar General of the Sharia Court. Two witnesses are required to attend.
- A Non-Muslims marriage contract / certificate can be provided by the Church or the Registrar General of the Sharia Court. Two witnesses are required to attend.
- The contract / certificate may be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Whose signature can then be legalized at the Canadian embassy.
Sudanese Marriage Ceremony
The marriage ceremony to a Sudanese citizen can legally take place in Sudan, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or a visitor visa for your Sudan spouse. To learn more about ceremony customs, see below.
If your Sudanese spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Sudanese Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Sudanese citizen.
List of Sudanese Consulates in Canada
The currency of Sudan is the Sudanese Dinar.
Canadian Consulate in Sudan
Embassy of Canada in Khartoum
29 Africa Road, Block 56
Telephone: 249 156 550 500
How to call Sudan from Canada
011 - 249 - Area Code - TEL #
The format should be as follows dial 011 + 249 + phone number.
How to call Canada from Sudan
00 - 1 - Area Code - TEL #
Follow the dialing format shown above while calling Canada from Sudan.
- 00- Exit code for Sudan, and is needed for making any international call from Sudan
- 1 - ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
|Alberta||403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
|BC||236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
|Ontario||226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
|New Brunswick||506||Quebec||418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Time Difference with Canada
|Canadian Time Zone||# of Hours
Sudan is Ahead or behind
|# of Hours
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||11 hours||10 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunavut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||10 hours||9 hours|
|Saskatchewan||10 hours||10 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||9 hours||8 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||8 hours||7 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec||7 hours||6 hours|
|Newfoundland||6.5 hours||5.5 hours|
Information for Canadians travelling to Sudan
Want to know more about marrying in Sudan? Let us know