Traffic Stop in Durham by By Ildar Sagdejev (Specious) (Own work) [GFDL ( or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons

Traffic Stop by Ildar Sagdejev / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY-SA 4.0

Canada treats drinking and driving as a serious offense and regularly refuses entry to Americans and other foreigners with DUI / DWI convictions. However, this policy has harmed tourism to Canada over the years and various tourism groups have lobbied the federal government for changes. In March of 2012, Citizenship and Immigration and Canada created a minor exception for people with only one conviction, to make it easier for tourists to visit Canada. This change in policy enforcement barely appeared in the media and so it is not very well known, however it is in effect until further notice.

If you are inadmissible to Canada only because of a DUI / DWI conviction, and you meet the following critieria, you may be eligible for a free temporary resident permit when you enter Canada:

  • you did not serve jail time as part of your conviction;
  • you are only inadmissible because of this conviction and for no other reasons (other criminal convictions, medical conditions, immigration violations).

If you meet these two criteria, you should be able to apply for a TRP, either in advance of your trip or at the border, and not have to pay the $200 fee.

Learn the full details about entering Canada after a DUI or DWI conviction here.


Start Now

A temporary resident permit (TRP) will allow those inadmissible to Canada to temporarily enter Canada. A successful Criminal Rehabilitation application will remove your inadmissibility and allow you to enter Canada without a TRP.

Get Help Now


Ask Questions

Do you have questions? Please fill in the form.

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at so we can take it down."