New Rules for Study Permits as of June 1, 2014

International Students By Vrenibean (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons

International Students by Vrenibean / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY-SA 3.0

The Canadian Government has overhauled the rules for study permits, making it easier to work while studying in Canada, among other changes. There are 8 significant changes to the regulations which fall under a few different categories:


Changes for Applications

There are  few changes to applying for a study permit:

  • You must prove you are enrolled. Previously study permit applicants only had to show that they intended to study in Canada, but now you must prove to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you are actually enrolled at an eligible institution.
  • You can only be approved for a study permit while attending certain "designated" institutions. Previously study permit applicants could enroll at any educational institutional in Canada. Now only some institutions will be designated to accept international students. Unfortunately, because this change is brand new and the policy does not come into affect until June, complete lists of "designated" schools are not yet available. Whether or not a school is allowed to accept international students rests with the individual provinces so please continue to check with the provincial and territorial websites to confirm whether or not the school you are interested in attending is on the list. Please note that government websites regularly change their webpages and the list of schools may or may not be available at the below links:
    Alberta New Brunswick Nova Scotia Prince Edward Island Yukon
    British Columbia Newfoundland and Labrador Nunavut Quebec  
    Manitoba Northwest Territories Ontario Saskatchewan  
  • Visitors can now apply for study permits from within Canada. Provided you are eligible to apply, you can now apply for a study permit while on a visitor visa (TRV). Eligibility is based primarily around whether or not you qualify for acceptance to the program you wish to apply to. So if you're of high school age, your parents can apply for a study permit for you to attend an eligible high school; if you are trying to get into a Canadian university, you must meet the entry requirements of the program.


Changes around legal status in Canada

  • You must remain in your program of study. As a condition of your visa, you need to stay in the program you enrolled in or you could risk removal.
  • Study permits become invalid 90 days after the conclusion of your program of study. Previously, your study permit's validity was set to a fixed date of 90 days after the expected conclusion of your program.
  • Implied status is granted to those who have applied for a post-graduation work permit. Previously


Working while studying

  • A study permit automatically allows you to work off-campus. Previously, you had to apply for an off-campus work permit. The rules governing working off-campus have not changed: you are still limited to working 20 hours a week while your course is in session and you can only work up to 40 hours a week during breaks (summer, Christmas, reading week). You must be enrolled in a degree-, diploma- or certificate-granting program longer than 6 months, and you must attend one of the designated istitutions.
  • Co-Op work permits are only available to students enrolled in co-op programs at designated institutions. Previously co-op permits were available to students participating in co-op programs at any school in Canada. In order to be eligible, the co-op placement must still be integral to your course of study.
  • You can work between the conclusion of your studies and the issuing of your post-graduate work permit. Previously you could not work while waiting for your post-graduate work permit to be approved. This is called implied status.


Changes for Registered Indians

  • Registered Indians who are foreign nationals (i.e. Americans) can study in Canada without a study permit. The new regulation just makes this explicitly clear as there was no clear statement of this in the old rules.


Apply Now

Category: is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can take it down."