PLEASE NOTE: The IMM 5401 has been retired and is no longer used. Fees are now paid online by credit card or debit card. So this article is no longer relevant. Instructions about paying your fees can be found as you file your application online.

Filing an application through Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) within Canada but don’t know how to pay your fees? Learn everything you need to know about the IMM 5401 Fee Receipt here including:

Call us at 1-866-760-2623 / (+1) 416-962-2623 or [email protected]


What is the IMM 5401 Fee Receipt?

If you are filing an application with Citizenship and Immigration Canada within Canada, you usually have two ways to pay the application fee:

  1. Pay online with your credit card (AMEX, MasterCard, or Visa only) provided you have
    1. PDF Reader software
    2. A valid email address
    3. A printer to print your receipt
  2. If you are unable to pay online or you just don’t want to, then you can pay in person at a Canadian financial institutions (see below for a list). To do this, you need an IMM 5401 fee receipt to take with you to the financial institution. The financial institution will indicate on the receipt that you paid and then you can submit the receipt with your application.

Please note that if you are filing an application with CIC from outside of Canada there are different payment methods. An IMM 5401 Fee Receipt cannot be used for these applications.

What applications do I need to use the IMM 5401 Fee Receipt for?

The fee receipt is used to show proof of that you paid the application fees prior to submitting the application. You can use the fee receipt for the following types of applications:

How can I get an IMM 5401 Fee Receipt?

You can get an IMM 5401 from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly CIC) by either calling the call centre at 1-888-242-2100 or by ordering one online on their website. The receipt will be mailed to you and it usually takes about 2 weeks to arrive.

Where can I pay my application fee with the IMM 5401 Fee Receipt?

You can pay your application fees at any eligible Canadian financial institution located in Canada. Here is a partial list of these institutions:

Assiniboine Credit Union Canadian Western Bank HSBC Servus Credit Union
ATB Financial Coast Capital Savings Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Canada) Steinbach Credit Union
Alterna Savings and Credit Union Conexus Credit Union ING Direct (now Tangerine) TD Canada Trust
Bank of China (Canada) Credit Unions of Ontario Laurentian Bank of Canada Valley First
Bank of Montreal CTC Bank of Canada Manulife Bank of Canada Vancity
Scotiabank Desjardins Meridian Credit Union Western Union
Bank West Envision Financial National Bank of Canada  
Bridgewater Bank First Calgary Financial Pacific & Western Bank of Canada  
Cambrian Credit Union First Nations Bank of Canada President's Choice Bank  
CIBC General Bank of Canada Royal Bank of Canada  

Please note this list is not complete. Make sure to check with your financial institution before attempting to pay the fees. Once you have checked with your financial institution to make sure they are eligible, proceed to your nearest branch and pay the fee. Most banks prefer you pay in cash but you should check with the particular institution to see what they will let you pay with. CIC will not accept bank drafts or money orders. Make sure that the institution stamps the portion of the receipt you must send to CIC.

Call us at 1-866-760-2623 / (+1) 416-962-2623 or [email protected]

How do I submit my fee receipt?

Each IMM 5401 has three parts:

  • the receipt for the financial institution
  • your receipt for your records
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada's receipt

The financial institution will remove their section when you pay the fees. Afterwards, you should detach your section and keep it in a safe place. You will need this receipt in case you ever need to prove to CIC that you paid the application fee. The final portion you should include in your application package. 

Comments now Closed

Please ask your questions in our forum

Category: is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can take it down."