Marriage to a Mongolian Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Mongolian citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Mongolian spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Mongolian Marriage Basic Requirements
If you are a Canadian planning to marry a Mongolian Citizen, you may register your marriage either at the Center of Civil Registration and Information in Ulaanbaatar city or at the Governor’s office of the province you reside in.
To register a marriage with Mongolian authorities, you have to present the following documents:
Statement written in your native language about your wish to marry a Mongolian and make an official translation by translation bureau
- Affidavit about your current status of marriage. If divorced you have to provide a notarized copy of court decision or evidence of dissolution or termination of any previous marriages (death certificates and / or divorce decrees).
- Health analysis such as Tuberculosis, Psychiatry, HIV, and STD.
- Criminal record from the place you reside translated by Translation Bureau.
- Police report from Mongolian General Police Department if you have lived in Mongolia for more than one year.
- Evidence to prove that you have enough financial resources to live in Mongolia. Evidence may include records such as bank statements, employment letters, and real estate certificates.
- Reference letter from local housing office/governor.
- Reference letter from Immigration Office regarding your legal status in Mongolia.
- Notarized copies of passports and civil IDs.
- One copy of photos each.
- Any documents in foreign languages must be translated by Translation Bureau into Mongolian.
If your Moroccan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Mongolian Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Mongolian citizen.
List of Mongolian Consulates in Canada
Calling Mongolia from Canada
Landlines: 011 – 976- Acess Code – Area Code – Exchange Code – Local Number, where
- 011 is the exit code for Canada
- 976 is the country code for Mongolia
- The access code depends on the provider
- The area code depends on the location
- The exchange code is usually written as part of the local number
- Mongolian Railway: 02
- Mongolian Telecom: 01
The “0” is not dialed when calling from outside of Mongolia.
|Aimag||3x, 4x or 5x||Central and Northern Region||3x, 3xx or 3xxx||Sumun Centre||3xxx, 4xxx or 5xxx||Greater Ulaanbaatar||2x, 2xx or 2xxx|
|Aimag centre||3×2, 3×2 or 5×2||Eastern Region||5x, 5xx or 5xxx||Ulaanbaatar||1||Western Region||4x, 4xx or 4xxx|
“x” can be any digit.
Cell Phones: 011 – 976 – Operator Selection Code – Local Number, where
- the operator selection code depends on the provider
Operator Selection Codes:
Calling Canada from Mongolia
Mongolian international code – 1 – Area Code – local number
- Mongolian international dialing code can be 00, 001, 003 or 1699x+special phone number depending on the provider
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
Area Codes of Canada
|Alberta||403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
|BC||236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
|Ontario||226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
|New Brunswick||506||Quebec||418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Mongolia has two time zones, GMT+7 and GMT+8:
by Phoenix B 1of3 [Public Domain]
Mongolia does not observe Daylight Saving Time.
|Canadian Time Zone||# of Hours western Mongolia is Ahead||# of Hours during DST||# of Hours majority of Mongolia is Ahead||# of Hours during DST|
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||15 hours||14 hours||16 hours||15 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||14 hours||13 hours||15 hours||14 hours|
|Saskatchewan||13 hours||13 hours||14 hours||14 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||13 hours||12 hours||14 hours||13 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||12 hours||11 hours||13 hours||12 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||11 hours||10 hours||12 hours||11 hours|
|Newfoundland||10.5 hours||9.5 hours||11.5 hours||10.5 hours|
Emergency Contact Information for Canadians in Mongolia
Embassy of Canada in Ulaanbaatar
Sukhbaatar Square 2, Central Tower, Suite 608
Telephone: (976-11) 332-500
View Larger Map
Emergency Numbers in Mongolia
- 101 – Fire
- 1610 – “Speed” Information Agency of Mongolian Radio
Canadian Government’s Travel Alerts for Mongolia
Sponsoring a Mongolian Spouse to Come to Canada
The sponsorship process is lengthy and can be complicated. To learn more about applying, click the button below.
Want to learn more about marrying in Mongolia? Let us know!