Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to an Omani citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Omani spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Omani spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Omani Marriage Basic Requirements
- Applicants must produce an original long birth certificate and / or any other original document that the marriage officer needs to see in order to be satisfied as to the nationality and date of birth of each party.
- Both parties must be free to marry. Widowed or divorced people must provide the appropriate original documents to support the marriage application. Copies are not acceptable.
- The parties must give a Notice of intention to marry. In order for this notice to be accepted, the couple has to satisfy the officials that both parties have been resident in Muscat for seven clear days. This can be proved by producing the passports.
- The Notice of Marriage can only be posted once all of the necessary original documents have been seen and the questionnaires and residency requirements have been completed. Please do not proceed with the marriage plans without having the required papers available for viewing by the marriage officer.
- Both partners must remain resident for a further fourteen full days after the notice of intention to marry is given to the marriage officer. If you leave the country in this period then the Notice of Marriage becomes invalid. The day of application does not count. It is during this fourteen-day period that the notice of intention to marry (the Banns) is displayed. The marriage may take place after the 14-day period but within three calendar months of the date of making the application.
If your Omani spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Omani Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Omani citizen.
List of Omani Consulates in Canada
Calling Oman from Canada
011 – 968 – local number, where
- 011 is the exit code for the North American Numbering Plan
- 968 is the country code for Oman
- There are no area codes in Oman
Landline numbers normally begin with "2", cell numbers with "9".
Calling Canada from Oman
00 – 1 – Area Code – local number, where
- 00- Exit code for Oman, and is needed for making any international call from Oman
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
Area Codes of Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Oman is on Gulf Standard Time (GMT+4). Oman does not observe Daylight Saving Time.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Oman is Ahead
# of Hours during DST
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||12 hours||141 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||11 hours||10 hours|
|Saskatchewan||10 hours||10 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||10 hours||9 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||9 hours||8 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||8 hours||7 hours|
|Newfoundland||7.5 hours||6.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Oman
There is no Canadian diplomatic mission in Oman. The Embassy ins Riyadh has jurisdiction for Oman; contact them for assistance. The embassy is about 13 hours drive from Muscat.
Embassy of Canada in Riyadh
Telephone: 966 (1) 488-2288
View Larger Map
The Government of Canada's Travel Alerts for Oman
Sponsoring Your Omani Spouse to Come to Canada
The sponsorship process is complicated and takes a very long time. To learn more about it, click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in Oman? Let us know
Immigroup will review your completed spousal sponsorship application.. Immigroup will make sure you have not made any mistakes on your application or in gathering the documentation of your relationship. We will assess your sponsorship letter and give you peace of mind that you are submitting an application with a very good chance of success. Don't lose sleep at night worrying about whether you've done enough. Call us at 1-866-760-2623 for a review.