Marriage to a Palauan Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Palauan citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Palauan spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Palauan spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Palauan Marriage Basic Requirements
- The future husband and wife each must be over 18 years of age. No medical examination or laboratory test is required.
- A marriage application form is available from the office of the Clerk of Courts located in the Judicial Building.
- A marriage license fee must be paid to the Treasury Office, located in the Administration Building that is near the National Congress Building and the Office of the Vice President. Obtain a receipt for the marriage license fee.
- The future husband and wife each must present an English language affidavits (this affidavit form can be obtained from the Office of the Public Defender located in the Judicial Building), stating their full names, citizenship, and that he and/or she has not been previously married. Then the completed affidavits must be notarized. The notarized affidavits must then be authenticated by the Canadian Embassy.
- Note that if either or both the future husband and wife have been previously married, then he and/or she must present a notarized copy of the divorce papers to a legal translator for translation into English. After which, the signature of the legal translator must be authenticated by the Canadian Embassy.
- The marriage application, the license fee receipt and the appropriate authenticated affidavits must be submitted to the Office of the President for the President’s signature. In the absence of the President, the application is submitted to the Office of the Vice President for his signature.
- Arrangements must be made beforehand with a local Judge or Clergy to perform the marriage ceremony at a fee.
- Following the marriage ceremony, the marriage application must be signed by the Judge or Clergy, the husband, the wife, two witnesses, and then notarized by the Clerk of the Courts.
If your Palauan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Palauan Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Palauan citizen.
List of Palauan Consulates in Canada
Calling Palau from Canada
Dial 011 – 680- Area Code – local number
List of Area Codes in Palau (landlines only)
Cell Codes in Palau
- Palau Mobile (PMC): 620, 630, 640, 660, 680, 690
- Palau National (PNCC): 770. 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779
Calling Canada from Palau
011 / 012 – 1 – Area Code – local number
- 011 / 012 – Exit codes for Palau: PMC customers use 012 and PNCC clients use 011
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
List of Area Codes in Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Palau is on Indonesia Eastern Time / Japan Standard Time (GMT+9). Palau does not observe Daylight Saving time due to its proximity to the equator.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Palau is Ahead
# of Hours during DST
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||17 hours||16 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||16 hours||15 hours|
|Saskatchewan||15 hours||15 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||15 hours||14 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||14 hours||13 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||13 hours||12 hours|
|Newfoundland||12.5 hours||11.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Palau
There is no Canadian diplomatic mission in Palau. If you need assistance, contact the Australian Embassy in Micronesia
Embassy of Australia in Pohnpei
H & E Enterprises Building
Telephone: 691 320-5448
View Larger Map
The Government of Canada's Travel Alerts for Palau
Sponsoring Your Palauan Spouse to Come to Canada
The sponsorship process is lengthy and difficult; to learn more about it click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in Palau? Let us know
Immigroup will review your completed spousal sponsorship application for $550+HST. Immigroup will make sure you have not made any mistakes on your application or in gathering the documentation of your relationship. We will assess your sponsorship letter and give you peace of mind that you are submitting an application with a very good chance of success. Don't lose sleep at night worrying about whether you've done enough. Call us at 1-866-760-2623 for a review.