Marriage to a Qatari Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Qatari citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Qatari spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Qatari Marriage Basic Requirements
Muslim Marriages are performed at the Sharia Court, which is located on Al Rayyan Road near Mannai Ra in the Musheirib area. You must provide two witnesses for the marriage. Please note that the Sharia Court will only marry two Muslims. Even though marriages between Muslim men and Christian women are performed by Sharia courts in other Muslim countries, they are not performed in Qatar.
The only non-Muslim marriages granted offical recognition by the State of Qatar are Christian marriages preformed by churches registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and by clergy recognized by the Ministry to preform non-Muslim marriages.
To obtain a Christian marriage in the State of Qatar, you must:
- Contact the Anglican, Catholic, Coptic, or Orthodox churches of Qatar and arrange a marriage ceremony. Following the ceremony, the church will issue a marriage certificate.
- Translate a copy of the marriage Certificate into Arabic through a translator recognized by the Qatar Chamber of Commerce and Industry (QCCI). You can find one if you search the Business Library of the QCCI website.
- Register the marriage certificate and Arabic translation at the Office of Land Registration and Legalization at the Ministry of Justice's office in the West Bay. The Ministry will stamp the back of the marriage certificate with a registration number and keep the copy and Arabic translation for its records. The office is located across from the City Center Mall next to the Kahramma building.
If your Qatari spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Qatari Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Qatari citizen.
List of Qatari Consulates in Canada
Calling Qatar from Canada
011 – 974 – prefix – local number, where
- 011 is the exit code from Canada
- 974 is the country code
- Qatar does not have area codes
Landlines vs. Cells
- Landlines have a prefix of 44
- Cells use the prefixes 33, 55, 66 or 77
Some phone numbers cannot be dialled from outside of Qatar unless Qatar has an agreement with that country. These numbers include phone numbers – excluding the above prefixes – beginning with
Calling Canada from Qatar
Dial 00 – 1 – Area Code – local number
- 00- Exit code for Qatar, and is needed for making any international call from Qatar
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
Area Codes of Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Qatar is on Arabian Standard Time (GMT+3). Qatar does not participate in Daylight Saving Time.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Qatar is Ahead
# of Hours during DST
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||11 hours||10 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunavut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||10 hours||9 hours|
|Saskatchewan||9 hours||9 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||9 hours||8 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||8 hours||7 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||7 hours||6 hours|
|Newfoundland||6.5 hours||5.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Qatar
Canada does not have a diplomatic mission to Qatar. For assistance, contact the Canadian embassy in Kuwait.
Embassy of Canada in Kuwait City
Villa 24, Block 4
Telephone: 965 2256-3025
View Larger Map
The Government of Canada's Travel Alerts for Qatar
Sponsoring a Qatari Citizen to Canada
The sponsorship process can be lengthy and hard. To learn more about the application and what is required, click the button below:
Want to learn more about marrying Qatar? Let us know!