Marriage to a Samoan Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Samoan citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Samoan spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Samoan spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Samoan Marriage Basic Requirements
- The man has to be at least eighteen and the woman to be at least sixteen years old;
- Consent by one of the parents or guardian (if alive) is required for a man under the age of twenty one and a woman under nineteen;
- No restrictions relating to religion or nationality (although there are no mosques in Samoa), but marriages have to be solemnized by a properly licensed marriage officer;
- Marriage officer must be informed in writing by the couple ten days before the wedding;
- The form “Notice of Intended Marriage” has to be filled out and sent at least 14 days prior to the marriage to the Deputy Registrar in Samoa.
- Both parties must present a Certificate of Non-Impediment from the local Marriage Registry or other such authority to show that they are free to get married;
- Both parties must present their birth certificates.
- The Office of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages is the government agency responsible for wedding issues in Samoa.
If your Samoan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Samoan Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Samoan citizen.
List of Samoan Consulates in Canada
Calling Samoa from Canada
011 – 685- Area Code – local number
Cellular phone numbers normally begin with a “7”.
Calling Canada from Samoa
0 – 1 – Area Code – TEL #
- 0- Exit code for Samoa, and is needed for making any international call from Samoa
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
List of Area Codes
|Alberta||403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
|BC||236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
|Ontario||226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
|New Brunswick||506||Quebec||418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Samoa’s time is GMT+13. though they used to be on GMT-11 and switched for business reasons. Despite its proximity to the equator, Samoa now uses Daylight Saving Time, again for business reasons. This can make determining the time difference quite difficult.
|Canadian Time Zone||Time of Year||Second Sunday in March to First Sunday of April
and Last Sunday of September to First Sunday of November
|Arpil to September (Canada DST)|
|Pacific||Samoa is 21 hours ahead||22 hours||20 hours|
|Mountain||20 hours||21 hours||19 hours|
|Saskatchewan||20 hours||20 hours||19 hours|
|Central||19 hours||20 hours||18 hours|
|Eastern||18 hours||19 hours||17 hours|
|Atlantic||17 hours||18 hours||16 hours|
|Newfoundland||16.5 hours||17.5 hours||15.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Samoa
There is no Canadian diplomatic mission in Samoa. For assistance, contact local authorities. For consular assistance, contact the Australian High Commission, which offers Canadian consular services and assistance.
High Commission of Australia in Apia
Telephone: 68 (5) 23 411
View Larger Map
The diplomatic mission responsible for Samoa is the High Commission in New Zealand.
The Government of Canada’s Travel Alerts for Samoa
Sponsoring Your Samoan Spouse to Canada
The sponsorship process is drawn-out and can be difficult. To learn more about it, click the button below: