Using the Government Directly
Please be aware that if you are filing your application yourself, you should do an extensive amount of research before proceeding. Please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada to learn more and visit the Sponsorship pages to learn about everything you need to do to get your spouse to Canada. The information can be found on Citizenship Immigration Canada's website.
Marriage to a San Marinese Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a San Marinese citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your San Marinese spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
How We Can Help You Marry Your San Marinese Fiance
To discuss the process to marry a citizen of San Marino, contact us for a consultation. We can determine your eligibility to apply for permission to marry a San Marinese as well as advise you how you can prove you meet the requirements.
Immigroup will assist you throughout the entire application process from start to finish, including:
- Determining your eligibility to apply;
- Determining the likelihood of success for your particular case;
- Ensuring your forms are complete and accurately reflect the details of your case for maximum chance of success;
- Ensuring you have the necessary and appropriate documents to support your application;
- Providing guidance on the best method to submit your application to the San Marinese government for your circumstances;
- Offering Top Priority service for extremely urgent cases;
- Determining the best way to proceed once the outcome of your case is reached (applying for family sponsorship, applying for a visitor visa for your San Marinese partner, re-application if necessary, etc.)
Contact us for a consultation to assist you with the San Marinese marriage process.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your San Marinese spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Costs of the Process
In addition to the legal fees paid to a consultant or lawyer to assist you with this process, you must also pay a fee of up to $1300 Canadian dollars to the San Marinese government for filing the application, depending on the consulate where the application is submitted and other factors affecting the applicants. To learn about the costs of the sponsorship process, click here.
Other Fees – Disbursement Fees
Because the only language recognized in San Marino is Italian, documents must all be translated into Italian to be included in an application. Documents are also sent to San Marino and San Marinese embassies by courier to ensure security, confidentiality, and confirmation of delivery. These costs are known as disbursement fees and are unique to each case; however the totalis typically less than $500 Canadian dollars.
San Marinese Marriage Basic Requirements
To arrange for the marriage celebration in San Marino, one would need to get legal assistance for the request of publications and marriage.
- First, couples are advised to get a Lawyer
- Secondly couple also should also visit the office of the City civil status (Via 28 Luglio, Borgo Maggiore, San Marino 0584-882080).
- 4 Italian witnesses are required, at the time of presenting the deed and only 2 would be present on the day of marriage celebration after the publication
- Note that the wedding can be celebrated 30 days after the publication.
- It is advised for those residing far from San Marino to fix the appointment for signing of the Deed at 8:30 am ,this way after the signing, they can go and publish the marriage same day
- The registration of marriage in San Marino would be communicated directly to the Italian Municipal and Questura (Police Office) respectively by the authorities in San Marino and one can go with the copies of marriage certificate and other documentation to His or Her Italian police headquarters to request for a Permit of stay.
Documentation for Marriage in San Marino
For the Bride / Groom without a residence permit:
- Certificate of Single status
- Birth Certificate, issued by the City council in the country of origin, translated and stamped by the country’s consulate in Italy (1 Week) and legalized by the Prefettura (1 Week).
For the Italian Bride/Groom:
- Identity card
- Birth certificate issued by the city of birth.
- Certificate of Single status
- Residence certificate
- Citizenship certificate issued by the municipality of residence
- For the 4 Witnesses with Identity cards
- Cost: For signing of the deed would cost around 250 Euros (Please consult San Marino Municipality for any change in Fees.)
If your San Marinese spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the San Marinese Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a San Marinese citizen.
List of San Marinese Consulates in Canada
Calling San Marino from Canada
011 – 378 / 39 – 0549 – local number, where
- 011 is the exit code for Canada
- 378 is the country code for San Marino
- 39 is the country code for Italy, which can be used when calling San Marino
- 0549 is the old Italian area code for San Marino, which is now part of all San Marino landlines.
Cell phone numbers begin with either a 3 or a 6.
Calling Canada from San Marino
00 – 1 – Area Code – local number
- 00- Exit code for San Marino, and is needed for making any international call from San Marino
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
San Marino is on Central European Time (GMT+1). San Marino, like the rest of Europe, observes Daylight Saving Time over a slightly different period; for two weeks per year – once in March and once again in October – the time differences below are incorrect. Saskatchewan does not participate in DST.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours San Marino is Ahead
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||9 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||8 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario, Saskatchewan*)||7 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||6 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in San Marino
Embassy of Canada in Rome
Via Zara 30
Telephone: 39 06-85444-2911
View Larger Map
Canadian Government's Travel Alerts for San Marino
Sponsoring Your San Marinese Spouse to Come to Canada
The sponsorship process is long and can be complicated. To learn more about it, click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in San Marino? Let us know