Marriage to a Tajik Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Tajik citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Tajik spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Tajik Marriage Basic Requirements
Marriages in Tajikistan are performed by the district Tajik State Office for Registration of Civil Status (ZAGS) where the marriage participants reside. Both parties must apply in person at the ZAGS office to file the marriage applications. The legal marriage age is 18 years old.
For marriages between a Canadian citizen and a national of Tajikistan, ZAGS require:
- Applications for marriage (available at ZAGS office)
- Copies of both parties’ passport biographical data pages
- Copy of the Canadian citizen Tajik visa and visa registration
- Divorce decrees/death certificates from previous marriages (divorce decrees need to be authenticated prior to submission
- Affidavit of Eligibility certified by the Canadian Embassy Consular Officer stating that a Canadian citizen is free to marry (the affidavit must be authenticated by the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tajikistan);
- Certified translation of English documents into Tajik or Russian (including the translation of the Canadian citizen’s passport data page).
Once the application is filed and approved, the ZAGS office will schedule the marriage date. The date is normally set for one month after the application is filed. Under extreme circumstances, ZAGS may grant exceptions. The ceremony takes place in the ZAGS office on the scheduled date.
On the wedding day, the parties must appear at the ZAGS office with two witnesses to sign the marriage register. After the ceremony, the newlyweds are presented with their marriage certificate.
Affidavit of Eligibility
After the affidavit of eligibility to marry is obtained it must be authenticated by the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan.
Requests for authentication are submitted to the General Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Room 11 and then transferred to the Authentication Section of the Consular Department. The following documents need to be submitted with the request for authentication:
- Written request for authentication of the document
- Copies of both parties’ passport biographical data pages
- Affidavit notarized by the U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe
- Copy of the U.S. citizen’s Tajik visa and visa registration
- Copies of divorce decrees/death certificates from previous marriages
- Certified translation of English documents into Russian or
Tajik (including the translation of the Canadian citizen’s passport data page).
If your Tajik spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Tajik Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Tajik citizen.
List of Tajik Consulates in Canada
Canadian Consulate in Tajikistan
There is no resident Canadian government office in Tajikistan. You can obtain consular assistance and further consular information from the the Embassy of Canada in Astana, Kazakhstan
Embassy of Canada in Astana
Kabanbay Batyr Street 13/1,
Telephone: 7(7172)475 577
View Larger Map
To call Tajikistan from Canada Dial
011 – 992 – Area Code – TEL #
The format should be as follows 011 + 992 + phone number
To call Canada from Tajikistan Dial
8 (Wait) 10 – 1 – Area Code – TEL #
Follow the dialling format shown above while calling Canada from Tajikistan.
- (Wait) : Dial 8, wait for the dial tone to change and then dial 10
- 8 (Wait) 10 – Exit code for Tajikistan, and is needed for making any international call from Tajikistan
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
|Alberta||403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
|BC||236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
|Ontario||226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
|New Brunswick||506||Quebec||418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Time Difference with Canada
|Canadian Time Zone||# of Hours
Tajikistan is Ahead
|# of Hours
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||13 hours||12 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunavut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||12 hours||11 hours|
|Saskatchewan||12 hours||12 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||11 hours||10 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||10 hours||9 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec||9 hours||8 hours|
|Newfoundland||8.5 hours||7.5 hours|
Information for Canadians travelling to Tajikistan
How to Sponsor Your Tajik Spouse for Permanent Residence in Canada
Want to know more about marrying in Tajikistan? Let us know
Immigroup will review your completed spousal sponsorship application. . Immigroup will make sure you have not made any mistakes on your application or in gathering the documentation of your relationship. We will assess your sponsorship letter and give you peace of mind that you are submitting an application with a very good chance of success. Don’t lose sleep at night worrying about whether you’ve done enough. Call us at 1-866-760-2623 for a review.