Recent content by Pheonix

1. P

Clarification on leaving CA while PR process is pending

Hi, there. I've been reading up on this on the internet, and the answers vary, so I thought I might get some clarity here. I'm a US citizen, and my husband is a PR in Canada. Currently, we're living together (me under visitor status for 6 months) in Canada. We got married way after his PR status...
  2. P

Extending visitor visa

Thanks for getting back to me. I checked out that source you linked to. I'm not sure that it's super accurate. After looking into it, I found this website: http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-2002-227/latest/sor-2002-227.html#sec183_smooth. Updated March 11 of this year. It states the law...
  3. P

Extending visitor visa

Ahh, I see what you mean. That's true. But it implies no American citizens can apply for extensions since they're visa-exempt. If I wanted to not go all the way to the border and back, maybe I'd have to get an official visitor visa, then apply for extension. I just thought there would be a way...
  4. P

Extending visitor visa

Right. I know I could leave and come back. My question is a bit different though. If I get the extension, is it required to border hop anyway? If it is, I won't bother with paying for an application and I'll just go to the US briefly and come back. I don't want to have to do both (apply AND...
  5. P

Extending visitor visa

Hi Riley, No. I flew in via Toronto airport January 17th as a visitor. Stamp on my passport says this expires July 16th. I need to stay in the country until August 16th. I thought to either apply for an extension of my visitor status or go to US for a bit and come back. I wondered if after I...
  6. P

Extending visitor visa

Hello, I am a US citizen visiting Canada. My visa expires July 16th. I was debating whether to apply for an extension or leave the country and come back later. If I took the extension route, once I get my answer (assuming it's positive), will I have to leave the country and re-enter (called...
  7. P

Spousal sponsorship

We appreciate your help!! :)
  8. P

Spousal sponsorship

Thanks, Riley, for looking into it. What you've provided so far clarifies things a bit. And yes, we would have a joint bank account and perhaps a few bills together at the least.
  9. P

Spousal sponsorship

Hello, I am a US citizen, and my fiance, with his permanent residency in Canada, will sponsor me for PR as well. We are wondering if the qualification to be "living together for a year" is meant to be consecutive, or cumulative? We are assuming consecutive and from what we've researched so...
  10. P

The 'fine print' of US citizens visiting Canada

Yes, it does! Thanks, Riley. I assumed they would have a way to find out but just wanted to double check how much of an issue they would have with it if I am technically going by the rules. How would they stop letting me enter for 6 months, would you know? Stamp my passport to allow a shorter...
  11. P

The 'fine print' of US citizens visiting Canada

Hello :) I am wondering if the 6 month entry for US citizens to Canada is within a 12 month period? So, if I go to CA in January and leave by June, can I come back to CA and the 6 months will reset or would I only be allowed back in the following year since I've used up 6 months already? I...