British/Canadian Citizen Confusion


New Member

I was wandering if anyone could help me.

I have dual Nationality with the UK and Canada. I have both a British and Canadian Passport. I gained my Canadian Dual nationality roughly 15 years ago when third generation citizenship was still a thing. (my Grandma was Canadian).

I have recently got back from Canada, I used my passport and had no problems. I am planning on moving over there in January for good and have been looking into jobs over there. I have come across the fact that you need your SIN number to work. I don't recall ever receiving a sin number. Now to get a new sin number you need to go in person in Canada to get one. Thats fine, but it says you need your proof of citizenship in order to receive this. I am 99% sure that when I gave in my files to become a Canadian Citizen, I handed in my old citizenship card as they are no longer valid. I don't however recall ever receiving another form of citizenship proof apart from the fact that I have my passport.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or what I might be able to do from london in order to get another proof of citizenship, or wether I even need it to get my SIN number if I have a passport.


To apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), to request a confirmation of your SIN or to amend your SIN record, you must provide a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada. To obtain a confirmation of your SIN or to amend your SIN record in person at a Service Canada Centre, you must bring one to two valid, government-issued identification documents (ID) with you.

A primary document is an official document that proves your identity and status in Canada.
Canadian citizens must provide an original of one of the following:
  • Certificate of birth or birth certificate issued by the vital statistics agency in the province or territory where you were born.
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad issued before 1977 by IRCC.

    Hence, you cannot use your passport as a proof of Canada citizenship, you need to use the documents Canada or IRCC accepts as proof of citizenship which include:
    • birth certificates from a Canadian province or territory
    • naturalization certificates issued before January 1, 1947