Immigrating to Canada

zavalskii

Hello,
I'll be very grateful if you could suggest to me the best option for my case.
I'm a US green card holder and am interested in settling over in Canada.I was actually in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago.Despite the fact that I can enter and leave as I wish,I'll like to be able to remain and work which am not allowed to do at the moment.I've been working in a giant retail outlet in the US for a year now and have served in other similar retail outlets for 3yrs now.In addition,I'm fluent in English and French.Could you also estimate the time duration of the best option and how much do I need to have to make it realizable.
Thank you for your attention

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I am not 100% sure, but the intra-company transfer program (i.e. "nafta visa") might be an option for you if your company has stores in Canada. But only if you're a manager.

If you are a manager, have been for at least a year, and have an education in a related field, you could apply to immigrate permanently as a skilled worker.

Otherwise you basically have two choices
  • a work permit, which requires a job offer from a Canadian employer and something known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment or LMIA (basically permission from the government for your prospective employer to hire a foreigner)
  • get accepted into a Canadian college or university for a program of more than 6 months and then apply for a study permit.

Hope this helps.
[/list]

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you need to be a citizen from one of the participating NAFTA countries, actually. Sorry about the confusion.