Pr card expired 726 days in Canada

Granit

My Parents pr card expired in 2008 they had 726 days total in Canada. They have applied to renew they’re pr card at the embassy in Europe but due to the 726 they were refused. They would like to come back to Canada as me and my two sisters live in Canada. Should they give back they pr card and apply for visa? Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they should renounce their residency and apply for visitor visas or super visas. You could also try to sponsor them for permanent residence after they renounce, though that is a very competitive process.

Granit

Thank you for help, they have applied for visitor visa but got refused I believe the refusal is because in the system it shows that they still haven’t renounce they pr card. I have read in other forums that they can enter through usa border and start a process as in their case they have reasons and documentation of why they couldn’t make it back to Canada. Few reasons are both of my parent had to take care of their sick parents who later passed away. Few years later my father had a bypass surgery done. Can these reasons be taken in consideration by Immigration?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so what you read about is entering through the border with the US using their Records of Landing (or COPRs, depending upon when they landed). That's possible: they would have to fly to the US and then drive into Canada. (They could not take a bus, they could not take a train.) However, there is a risk that they would have their status revoked at the border, forcing them to try to enter as visitors or return home. I cannot give you odds, but it's a real risk. (I just spoke to someone this week who had his PR status revoked trying to enter Canada by car.) If they are allowed to enter, they would then have to wait two years to meet the residence requirement before applying for PR Cards. Those applications would likely be investigated because IRCC knows they were outside of Canada because of the rejected applications you mentioned.

If they just formally renounce right now, they can apply for visitor visas immediately afterwards, though they will have to demonstrate that they are not trying to immigrate, which might be hard in their situation.

I hope that clarifies things.

Granit

Okay, so what you read about is entering through the border with the US using their Records of Landing (or COPRs, depending upon when they landed). That's possible: they would have to fly to the US and then drive into Canada. (They could not take a bus, they could not take a train.) However, there is a risk that they would have their status revoked at the border, forcing them to try to enter as visitors or return home. I cannot give you odds, but it's a real risk. (I just spoke to someone this week who had his PR status revoked trying to enter Canada by car.) If they are allowed to enter, they would then have to wait two years to meet the residence requirement before applying for PR Cards. Those applications would likely be investigated because IRCC knows they were outside of Canada because of the rejected applications you mentioned.

If they just formally renounce right now, they can apply for visitor visas immediately afterwards, though they will have to demonstrate that they are not trying to immigrate, which might be hard in their situation.

I hope that clarifies things.
We’re a bit of afraid if they do return the pr might not be able to get a visa to enter canada as they were refused a few times before but that can be due to not renounce the pr card yet

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that's the likely reason now. Unfortunately they could come up with other reasons in the future, such as a belief that your parents would attempt to get sponsored after entering as visitors. But that's not something we can know at this time.