PR card

bjz112887

I don't know where to ask this at. I hope this is the correct area.

So I am an American my soon to be wife is from Canada.

I live in the Detroit area I was going to keep my job in the usa and just commute. We have decided Canada is a better place to live. So once we are married I would just apply for a pr card? Would I be able to keep my job and commute to and from Canada while my app is being processed? Do I need to apply for my pr card and not cross while is being processed. I was going to apply for it in canada. Is there income requirements? Would they look at my income since I am not leaving my job? I am just trying to get ideas here.

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Let's try to answer your questions:
So once we are married I would just apply for a pr card?
She has to sponsor you for permanent residence. It takes 12 months.

Would I be able to keep my job and commute to and from Canada while my app is being processed?
Basically, yes. Because you are an American, you can enter Canada pretty much whenever. What matters is how long you are intending to stay here during the process. At some point a CBSA officer is going to find this constant crossing notable and they are going to want to talk to you about it. Depending upon how often you do it and how long you are in Canada at a given time, they may limit your entry at some point.

Do I need to apply for my pr card and not cross while is being processed.
You apply for the PR Card once you have PR status, not before. So when you "land" after you receive your status, you will apply for it; at that point you will be in Canada.

Is there income requirements?
There is an unstated income requirement for your future wife, not for you. Unfortunately, there's no exact number. However, if you are both working there should be no issues.

Hope this helps.

bjz112887

Hi,
Let's try to answer your questions:

She has to sponsor you for permanent residence. It takes 12 months.

Basically, yes. Because you are an American, you can enter Canada pretty much whenever. What matters is how long you are intending to stay here during the process. At some point a CBSA officer is going to find this constant crossing notable and they are going to want to talk to you about it. Depending upon how often you do it and how long you are in Canada at a given time, they may limit your entry at some point.

You apply for the PR Card once you have PR status, not before. So when you "land" after you receive your status, you will apply for it; at that point you will be in Canada.

There is an unstated income requirement for your future wife, not for you. Unfortunately, there's no exact number. However, if you are both working there should be no issues.

Hope this helps.

So basically once we apply for my pr card. I can just stay in the usa while its being processed? I would still be able to cross while that is pending? I just won't get a place to rent while that is in motion. How long does it take to get in the Canada health care system? Would they look at both of are incomes for the pr card?

bjz112887

She is currently living with her folks while we go through this process. Then once a pr card is granted we were going to move in together.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So basically once we apply for my pr card. I can just stay in the usa while its being processed?
The PR Card is the very last part of the process, the whole of which usually takes about a year. You can stay in the USA while your permanent residence application is processed. If you receive a positive decision you need to "land" in (enter) Canada. At that point you will fill out a PR Card application. At this point you are supposed to reside in Canada permanently, even though you will not have a PR Card for the next month or two. Because you're American, you could certainly stay in the US at this point until your PR Card arrives by mail at your future wife's address, but I'm not sure I see the point of that unless you want to keep working.

But your application is no longer in process while you're waiting for a PR Card. You only get to apply for the PR Card if you've been granted permanent residence.

You need to reside in a province for at least 3 months before you can apply for health insurance. (Well, that's the rule in Ontario. I assume it's the same elsewhere.) So, from this perspective, if you want your insurance as quickly as possible, it makes sense to "land" immediately after your PR application is granted, then move in with your wife immediately, so that you can get the insurance as quickly as possible.