Sponsorship for work permit forthcoming, more what?


New Member
Hi all,

I was hired by a Canadian university. They are generating an LMIA, but the admin just gave me a lawyer's number when I asked about my dependant children and spouse. The lawyer fees were exorbitant, so Im hoping to do without. We want to go for permanent residency as soon as we can, but have to get set up the in the meantime. We are US passport holders.
  1. If the university gives me the lmia, then I still need a letter of introduction? Where do I get that and what is it?
  2. Besides all 4 US passports, copies of my degrees and CV, and the children's birth certificates, do I need something else? Marriage certificate? Me and spouse birth certificate?
  3. Do we need medical exams?
  4. Does my spouse automatically get an open work permit?
  5. Do I need anything else from the university besides the lmia?
Also, does anyone have contact information for a consultant? If they are more reasonably priced, i would prefer to go that route...

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Riley Haas

Staff member
Lawyers generally cost more than RCICs (the people who own this forum) because they're lawyers. Immigration consultants have a somewhat bad reputation in Canada because every year or so there is a story about a corrupt one. But there are over 4,000 of them, and they only focus on immigration. Just FYI.

To your questions:
  1. What's the letter of introduction for? Can you give me a link for some context?
  2. Yes, you need a marriage certificate to prove your relationship and you will also need to prove your relationship to your child (birth certificate).
  3. Normally you are required to get medicals, yes.
  4. Your spouse has to apply for an open work permit.
  5. You need the job offer and the LMIA.
Hope this helps! If you are interested in working with us, you can start by booking a consultation: https://www.immigroup.com/book-immigration-consultation or by calling us at 1-866-760-2623 (or 416-962-2623).


New Member
Hi Riley!

Thanks, I just made a consultation appointment!

Letter of Introduction: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=845&top=15
I think its only if you apply for the work permit before oyou are at the POE (through like the consulate), but we are applying at the POE.

No medicals for US nationals, though, according to this if I read it right: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...temporary-residents/country-requirements.html .

I'm still confused about biometrics, though. Do I give those at the border?

Thanks so much and glad to be working with IMMIgroup.

Riley Haas

Staff member
Oh that letter comes once you get approved for a work permit through IRCC. Sounds like you don't need it.

I missed that you were American, sorry about that. You are correct.

You also don't need to give biometrics.

By the way, take everything I say with a grain of salt. The consultant is the expert.