Applying for an open work permit at the border

KG

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me. I am currently in Toronto on a working holiday visa which expires in September 2016. I would like to apply for an open work permit at the Niagara border. Does anyone have experience of doing this? Am I able to apply for this type of visa at the border and do you know how long the open work permit will be given for?

Thanks so much
Katie

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Katie,
How do you qualify for the open work permit?
I believe you cannot apply at the border, but it does depend on the type of permit.

KG

I have read on the CIC website that if you are a young worker participating in the working holiday category of IEC, which I am, you can apply for an open work permit (it states this under the other workers and professionals section) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Katie,
The IEC is the open work permit. Depending on which country you are from, you may be eligible for a second one, though.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a valid work permit, you can work. I think you might have implied status if it expires while you are waiting for your PR to be approved, but I have to check with our consultants.

KG

Thanks for coming back to me. I currently have a working holiday visa, this will expire in September and I very much doubt I will get PR before my visa expires. So I could carry on working under the conditions of my working holiday visa until I am invited to apply for PR or would I need to apply for a bridging work permit? Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your situation.
You can apply for a 'bridging' work permit since you have applied for PR and you are currently working in Canada. You'll have to apply before your IEC work permit expires. You cannot flagpole, as it will be mailed to you.
I realize that was your initial question, but I misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion!

Riley

KG

Not a problem, thanks for your help. Just one last question you might be able to help me with...

If I apply for PR and have a score of 366 I take it the chances of being picked to apply for PR are pretty slim?
I have enough points to apply for PR under the federal skilled worker program and have 6 months Canadian work experience. Would I be able to apply for PR and a bridging work permit so that I can increase my Canadian work experience and therefore increase my CSR score that way?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that the invitations to apply have never been sent to any candidates with scores under 450.

You can't get a bridging work permit if you haven't applied for PR. However, if you can get a job offer from your current employer, you could conceivably get a new (closed) work permit.

KG

Thanks for coming back to me.

Would I need an LMIA with the job offer to get a new (closed) work permit?

Thanks again