Applying for TRV (in case of Spouse Accompanying International Student)

Buttercup_M

A. My husband is going to apply for a study permit after being accepted at a DLI (acceptance date 15th of april)
I have 3 questions considering the current situation(COVID)

1. Can I apply (on the same application) along with him to help him settle?
2. Are they even processing TRV (for accompanying spouse of an international student) considering there are travel restrictions that might be lifted end of june?
3. Will that affect his application to the study permit? (Could it potentially lead to refusal?)

B. Another factor to consider is that we have an EE profile with a CRS score of 436
We've read that there is such a thing as dual intent

1. Will the above (A.) affect our immigration profile in any way or vice versa?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. You can apply for an open work permit to accompany him. "Open" means you don't need a job offer.
  2. I know they were focusing on processing already accepted work and study permits early on. No idea for ones which were submitted after the travel restrictions were imposed. You can find the most up-to-date information here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ovid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html
  3. Not refusal but delays, for sure. It depends what happens next in terms of how long the delays will be. Will they be admitting international students in August/September? I have no idea.
  4. (I.e. B1) No, having an EE profile should not affect a legitimate study permit application. If you or your husband receive an ITA during the processing of the study or work permit, or while you are waiting for the travel restrictions to lift after you've been approved, if you submit your PR application then that will just supersede your temporary status/application, again if approved. Does that make sense? (Dual intent doesn't apply here to the best of my knowledge.)

Buttercup_M

Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. You can apply for an open work permit to accompany him. "Open" means you don't need a job offer.
  2. I know they were focusing on processing already accepted work and study permits early on. No idea for ones which were submitted after the travel restrictions were imposed. You can find the most up-to-date information here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ovid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html
  3. Not refusal but delays, for sure. It depends what happens next in terms of how long the delays will be. Will they be admitting international students in August/September? I have no idea.
  4. (I.e. B1) No, having an EE profile should not affect a legitimate study permit application. If you or your husband receive an ITA during the processing of the study or work permit, or while you are waiting for the travel restrictions to lift after you've been approved, if you submit your PR application then that will just supersede your temporary status/application, again if approved. Does that make sense? (Dual intent doesn't apply here to the best of my knowledge.)
Thank you we really appreciate your answer :)

Buttercup_M

Good luck to you.
I have two more follow up questions,
1. considering the corona situation and people that have already lost their jobs in canada, won't it be better to apply for a tourist visa, and maybe less risky than an OPW (I heard it's normally difficult to get)?
Because it seems more logical that they will prioritize available positions for their citizens
2. will the delay in processing for my husband's study permit be related to me applying along with him on the same application?
Thank you again

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I'll try to answer:
  1. I legitimately have no idea what the answer is. Where have you heard they are hard to get? If you have no intention of working you can apply for a tourist visa and state, in your application, that you have no intention of working. But I'm not personally sure whether or not this is a better idea than applying for the OWP. There's no guarantee anyone will give you a job with your OWP anyway.
  2. Yes, to the best of my knowledge.