Canadian husband - living in UK - wanting to return to Canada

Kyleigh_UK

Hi,

I am Belgian and hold a Belgian passport, my husband is Canadian with dual citizenship (Canada/US) and we have lived in the UK for the past 19 years.
We are both in our late 50ies and are wondering what our options are for returning to Canada. We will both have to leave our respective jobs behind when moving and are still a few years away from retirement.

Also, I am taking care of my elderely mother who lives with us and she would obviously need to come with us.

Any suggestions?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kyleigh,
So, you coming with your husband is much easier than bringing your mother.

For you to immigrate to Canada, your husband needs to sponsor you. Ideally, he would return to Canada first (you could come with him or remain in the UK), as the sponsor should be physically in Canada when the sponsorship application is submitted. If you are both in the UK when the sponsorship application is submitted, you have to prove you intend to live in Canada, which is an additional burden. https://www.immigroup.com/family-class-sponsorship-canada

As for your mother, you need to become a permanent resident of Canada before you could sponsor her for permanent residence. In the interim, she could come to Canada on what is known as a "Super Visa" (an extended visa) but I don't know if temporary residents can have their parents come to Canada on super visas, that would be a question for an Immigration consultant or lawyer (I am just the webmaster).

Hope this helps.

Kyleigh_UK

Thank you Riley,

For the time being either of us spending time apart is not an option so I think we will need to shelve this plan.

Kind regards

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you get an eTA, you can travel with him to Canada and be sponsored inland. But it would difficult to bring your mother with you in this situation.