EXTENDING STUDENT VISA AND WORKING

susanstrazzeri

Hello, I need some help related to further extending my student visa and working. I Landed in Canada on March 29, 2016. Started school May 5, 2016 and finished December 6, 2016. I renewed my student visa until August 30, 2017. I have since secured FT work and would like to know what options are available to me. I need to work to be able to save some money so that I can return to school. Based on the rules right now, I would need to return to school May 2017. I am looking to work and defer school for a few months until September 2017. Can anyone help as I know that I am only allowed to work for an allotted amount of time.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge you cannot extend your "summer" and work longer on a study permit. You'd have to switch to a work permit.
However, you can work full time until you are expected to resume your studies and then work part time. That's one option.

susanstrazzeri

Riley Haas said:
To the best of my knowledge you cannot extend your "summer" and work longer on a study permit. You'd have to switch to a work permit.
However, you can work full time until you are expected to resume your studies and then work part time. That's one option.
Can you suggest what options I would have that would allow me to work and save to go back to school in September instead of May? Are there any options?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know the option would be to use your job offer to get an LMIA and get a work permit. And then, when you're ready to go back to school, switch back to a study permit.

There may be another option, but I don't know myself if there is.