Inland vs. Outland Sponsorship for Spouse

Simstar

I'm a Canadian Citizen marrying a French Citizen in France at the end of August. We will be returning to Canada at the end of September together. I am planning to submit my spousal sponsorship application right after the wedding from France. From what I've been able to gather, the spousal sponsorship is much quicker if you apply outland and I'm hoping I'll have an answer by the time we land in Canada. Once we arrive in Canada I will let immigration know that I have applied for sponsorship with all of our documents in hand as well as confirmation of my wife's return flight. We have already booked a return flight for her to return home before the 6 month mark so she can visit her family and when she returns that will give us another 6 months. Is this the best way to proceed? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Yes, the sponsorship process is almost always quicker outland.

The return flight is a great idea. But your wife should prepare for being interviewed extensively about her intentions to return to France before her entry stamp expires, because they likely see lots of people doing this who then cancel the flight and stay in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Simstar

Thanks Riley, It's a non refundable flight so I'm hoping that helps, either way we are going to be very clear about our plans and hope for the best!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If she's got anything else to show her ties to France, she should bring that to. Examples: lease/deed, employment contract, etc.