Is voluntary renounce to PR helpful if I want to return to Canada in the future and apply for PR again?

dapperdingo

I have been outside Canada for work and reaching the point when the number of days in Canada over a 5 years period will not be sufficient to maintain the PR status.

Is voluntary renounce to PR helpful if I want to return to Canada in the future and apply for PR again?

I am not ready to quit my job and return to Canada this year, yet, so I think I would like to renounce to my PR voluntarily to avoid being tagged and reported so that if one day I want to return to canada and re-apply for PR I will not have any penalties, but simply be able to go through the process again.

Is my thinking correct? If I renounce PR today, will I be able to apply again in future or will I lose the opportunity to apply for my lifetime? In that case I would consider quitting my current job.

IMMIgroup

Get Answers!
Staff member
Phone
+1-416-962-2623
Web
https://immigroup.com
Email
[email protected]
Question: How are you going to reapply for a PR? Under what immigration program do you think you qualify for?

Here is what CIC's website has on the subject, 'If you renounce your permanent resident status, you will permanently change your status in Canada as of the day your application is approved by an officer. You will not be able to appeal the decision to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). You will no longer be a permanent resident of Canada.'

dapperdingo

Thank you. I read and I understand what the CIC has in this regard, but what I am not clear is if "permanently" in this case means lifelong meaning that if I renounce I will never be able to apply back again, because I obviously would like to come back to Canada one day it's just that I currently don't have a job there so I am willing to take part of my PR Card and then apply for a work visa and go through the process again for PR when I am older.

In other words I am trying to do "the right thing" because I don't know if doing nothing when you realize you don't have enough days to keep the status is the best thing to do and I wouldn't want this to preclude my opportunity to move back to Canada even though I know I will have to start the application from the beginning.