Moving to Canada on dependenct VISA and looking for job on Open Work Permit

sachin chakote

Dear Admin.

I have an opportunity to move to Canada on Dependent VISA with my Wife.

I presently work in Software on managerial duties. I hold Engineering Degree , have project management experience , 10 years of Industry experience and also pursuing MBA.

I have couple of question and would appreciate any information which can help us take right decision.

1. Will i be eligible for Open Work Permit.
2. How long does it usually take ?
3. What are job prospects in Toronto for my skill set.
4. Can i apply for job even before landing in Toronto ?
5. can i apply for Work permit before landing in Toronto ?

Thanks in advance
Sachin

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

Let me try to answer your questions:
1. You will be able to apply for a work permit if she sponsors you "inland", that means you have to already be in Canada. If she is sponsoring you from your home country, you will have to apply for a work permit separately, which means you will need a job offer and LMIA.
2. Sponsorship takes 25 months "inland" but overseas it depends on where you live. The inland work permit takes about 2 months.
3. I have no idea, but they're not great for anyone at the moment.
4. If you are trying to come here on a work permit before you have been sponsored, you will have to apply for a job before you get here.
5. You have to apply for a work permit before landing, unless she is going to sponsor you "inland", then you have to apply at the same time as you submit the sponsorship application.

Hope this helps.

sachin chakote

Thanks for quick reply

My Wife is currently in India , her employer will send her to Toronto as ICT ( inter company transfer ) and also would sponsor my dependent visa.

what I heard is I am eligible to work there if I can get Work permit and now my dilemma is should I really leave my present job and search another there
1. Before I land in Canada OR
2. After I land.

and does second choice increases changes of getting job quicker than 1st.

sachin

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
Oh, I think I misunderstood your situation. Your wife isn't a resident yet? She is getting a visitor visa through the intra-company transfer program?
In that case you can ignore my last answers.
So basically you need to apply for an "open" work permit as the spouse of a temporary resident (if I am understanding your situation correctly). You will not be able to work until you have the work permit, but you can certainly start looking for a job before you get here.
You will absolutely have trouble getting someone to hire you before you land, unless you have connections or have a special skill that is in high demand.
I hope this helps and I apologize for the misunderstanding.