Need tips or advise - Fedex (or UPS) Passport from US to Ottowa

chris_j11

Just need verification, everything seems perfect from this point and don't want to mess up the final stage Cheesy
===================================
? If you have a mailing address in the U.S.A.:
- The self-addressed, pre-paid envelope should be arranged with a courier that delivers between Canada and the U.S.A.
- Submit all documents by mail in a single package and send to the following address:
CPC ? Ottawa ? PR
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa ON K1A 1L1
==================================

We received email that my wife (currently living in US) needs to mail her passport - The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete.
I (live in Canada) was thinking of her using Fedex
Does she or Fedex needs to provide any specific paper work so it won't get stuck in the custom
(I read in a previous post "Even though passports have no commercial value, a commercial invoice with zero value may still be required")

About the pre-paid envelope - if using Fedex, does she needs to provide another envelope inside with the return address label already applied or no envelope and just the label.

Thanks in advance

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chris,
These sound like questions for Fed Ex. I have no idea why the passport would need a commercial invoice, but if you've heard that, then it might be true. (FedEX would know better than me.) I would think you would need both a FedEx label and enveloped but, again, check with FedEx.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

chris_j11

Thanks for the reply, I have called Fedex and verified that I don't need any special document when shipping the passport from US to Ottowa.

The only thing I'm not sure is - can she just place a returning address LABEL inside the main envelope or should she provide a separate envelope with the label already applied and place inside the main envelope

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, IRCC won't supply you with an envelope. And you'll want to check with FedEx to see whether or not they will ship something using an envelope that isn't theirs. Does that answer your question?

chris_j11

I'm assuming that if we provide the returning label inside,
The Agent will apply the returning label on the same envelope, re-tape it up and then mail it
OR
They prefer a separate envelope with the label already applied and they will use that to mail the passport back

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I'd go with the return envelope. You never know what kind of day someone is having and you never know how that can affect your life, if you don't make it easy for them.