outland sponshorship - Informations about PR

gkountouris

Hi all.. I hope you will help me with this.. My Canadian sitisent spouse is sponsoring me and we are both leaving in Greece. I would like to ask you the following questions
1) From the time that our application will be accepted what is the validate period we have to enter Canada?
2) Can we delcare that we will realocate to Canada after 5 years , are there some rectricted regulations about the time we must realocate?.

Many thanks ..

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Let me try to answer your questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]When you are granted permanent residence, you will be given something that tells you how long you have to enter Canada. Your spouse can go whenever, as they are a citizen.
[*]No, you cannot do that. You are being sponsored for permanent residence which means you need to live in Canada. If you're not ready to move, don't apply. (If you've already applied, and indicated you will not be moving for 5 years, your application will be rejected.
[/list]

Hope this helps.

bluenkj

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this topic but for some reason i couldnt find how to create a new thread. My husband lives and works in Canada, we got court married in May of this year with a formal wedding in November with family friends honeymoon etc. My question is that we are planning on doing an outland application, i live in the US, but my job has allowed me to work from Canada. I am planning on working from Canada and coming back and forth to the US for my job as required and also as my family is all situated in the US. If we did an outbound application, with me leaving every month or two months to come back to the states for a week or so, would that cause any issues?

Thanks,

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
The issue that will come up is whether or not you are going to overstay in Canada during your application. Because you are American, you get a little more leeway than most but it will likely still come up.
First of all, though: Do you have a work permit? You are not allowed to work in Canada without a work permit. (If you would prefer to speak to us about this privately, send me a personal message.) If you do, my understanding would be that this would require you to apply inland. But I don't know that for sure.

In terms of coming and going (provided you are legally allowed to work in Canada): you will need to demonstrate to the CBSA officer at the airport or border that you will be leaving again. To do this, you'll need to provide proof of "ties": a lease/deed, your employment contract, bank accounts etc. Even with this information, they may not let you in if they know you are currently being sponsored. It's a risk.

Hope this helps.