Possible Issues for sponsorship - Child support


New Member
Hello, our question is very specific:

I am in common-law with a person that changed his life, we was in prison a couple of times, I think 14 years ago, he didn't paid child support (he has 1 kid, she is an adult now, 24 years old) for a few years because he didn't have a job in that moment, he ended up owing a lot of money to the FRO.

He filled a Motion to Change 5 years ago (we have 3.5 years together). He paid in that moment 75% of the debt, then the other 15% was deducted from his taxes in 2022.
All the debt is over.

I know the reasons he was in jail are not listed in the requirements to be a sponsor, so is not a concern.
My concern is the children support he didn't paid for a long time. If there is no more debt, can he still sponsor me as his common-law partner?

Thank you.


Get Answers!
Staff member
[email protected]
If you are sponsoring someone that:

1. Has been in prison in the past
2. Still has outstanding debt

The debt issue is going to be less of a problem. The prison will become an issue if not explained correctly to IRCC.

If you can afford it, hire a legal professional. This will cost you an additional $3000 to $5000.

If you are going to do this yourself, you need to submit a very well-written letter called 'Letter of Explanation.' See the example here: https://www.immigroup.com/topics/letter-of-explanation-immigration/

If I misunderstood your question, please let me know.


New Member
Thank you!
when you mention this:
"2. Still has outstanding debt ", what type of debts are you referring to?