Question regarding losing PR status at a PoE during inspection

Satsuma

Hi,

I have found a few posts here that indicate that a PR could lose their status ON THE SPOT (or could be denied entry into Canada) if, during inspection, the CBSA officer suspects (or even confirms) that the PR has failed to meet their Residency Obligation (R.O.) to maintain status. Did something change recently to allow that? AFAIK, unless a PR is inadmissible for reasons OTHER THAN failing to comply with their R.O., they cannot be denied entry, or lose their status `on the spot'.

Thanks!

Satsuma

Looks like things are still the same, which confirms that the aforementioned posts that I've found are terribly incorrect:

`Also notice that if you do not meet your residency requirements, your loss of PR status is NOT automatic. Rather, there is a process that you must you go through before your status as a permanent resident is lost. As CIC states, unless you have gone through an official process, you have not lost your permanent resident status. You may not be eligible to return to Canada as a permanent resident, however, if you are living abroad when you fail to meet your residency requirements.'

I suspect that the last part in bold, simply means that a PR abroad may not be able to travel via a commercial carrier to Canada, if their PR card has expired (unless a U.S. passport holder). Returning to Canada and Entering Canada are not exactly the same.