Sponsorship - inland or overseas?

sfrade

Hi there,

First of all I would like to thank everyone who try to help us to clarify what to do, how to do and if we can do it!

I am in a relationship with a person who is a permanent resident in Canada, but I am living in UK and I would like to come to live in Canada.
Ideally, I would come and stay in Canada as a tourist until I get some kind of temporary work permit and from there, most likely, we would get married and ask for a sponsorship.
Is this possible? Can we do it? How to do it?

Thank you!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Unless you have a job offer already, the thing to do is to come here and marry your partner. Then, your partner can sponsor you "inland" and you can apply for an "open" work permit at the same time.
Hope this helps.

sfrade

Tank you for your reply, Riley!

And for how long is the "Open Work Permit"?

As far as I understand, sponsorship can take up to 2 years or more. Just want to make sure I will be in a good position and have no problems with immigration.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that the open work permit is normally granted for the duration the expected processing time, but I don't know for sure.

Inland sponsorship does indeed take over two years. If you hire a consultant to handle your application, ask him or her what their experience is with open work permit expiry dates.