The 'fine print' of US citizens visiting Canada

Pheonix

Hello :)

I am wondering if the 6 month entry for US citizens to Canada is within a 12 month period? So, if I go to CA in January and leave by June, can I come back to CA and the 6 months will reset or would I only be allowed back in the following year since I've used up 6 months already? I hope I've made that a clear question!

Also, do border agents know how long my previous stays were exactly?

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The six month entry, for US citizens, should start when you enter Canada (unless they tell you otherwise) and start again when you enter Canada again. Now, if you enter for, say, 5 months at a time, every six months, and you do that repeatedly, they are going to stop letting you enter for 6 months pretty quickly.

CBSA agents know right away, the last time you entered. You must assume they can easily find out from the CBP the last time you left, if they need to.

Does this answer your question?

Pheonix

Yes, it does! Thanks, Riley. I assumed they would have a way to find out but just wanted to double check how much of an issue they would have with it if I am technically going by the rules. How would they stop letting me enter for 6 months, would you know? Stamp my passport to allow a shorter visit? If you're not sure, it's alright.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
Yeah, they'll stamp your passport with something that indicates you must leave by a certain date. That's how you'd know. If you don't get stamped, you must assume you have 6 months entry. But again, the more times you enter, the more likely they are going to not just let you in normally, but ask you about what you're up to.