Marriage to a Lithuanian Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Lithuanian citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Lithuania spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our eTA article.
Lithuanian Marriage Basic Requirements
Individuals wishing to get married in Lithuania need to fill out the required forms and submit them along with their passport, birth certificate, and required documents (listed below) to the Civil Registry office.
- If a Canadian citizen has never been married, he or she must have a “free to marry” certificate from Canada. This document must have an Apostille attached to it.
- Divorced persons must present a certified copy of their divorce decree
- Widows and widowers must present a death certificate for the deceased spouse
- These documents must be translated into Lithuanian, and the signature of the translator must be notarized.
- At least one of the individuals to be married must be either a Lithuanian citizen, a resident of Lithuania, or have Lithuanian ancestry.
- Two Canadian citizens with no prior ties to Lithuania will likely not be able to meet the requirements to be married in Lithuania.
- The minimum age to marry is 18.
- No medical examination or statement is required.
- Once the above documents have been certified, they must be submitted, along with passports, to the Civil Registry (Marriage Palace).
- Applicants complete local forms and pay the fee for the service to the Civil Registry Office.
- A 30-day waiting period is required, after which the couple returns to the Registry to sign and receive the marriage certificate.
- The waiting period can be shortened only in exceptional circumstances.
There is no bar to church weddings, but it is necessary to complete the civil procedure above in order to obtain the official marriage certificate.
If your Lithuanian spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Lithuanian Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Lithuanian citizen.
List of Lithuanian Consulates in Canada
Calling Lithuania from Canada
011 – 370- Area Code – local number, where
- 011 is the exit code for Canada
- 370 is the country code for Lithuania
Area Codes of Lithuania (landlines only)
In Lithuania, cell numbers begin with "6".
Calling Canada from Lithuania
Dial 00 – 1 – area code – local number, where
- 00 is the international dialling code for most countries
- 1 is the country code for North America
List of Canadian Area Codes
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Lithuanian is on Eastern European Time (GMT+2). Like most of Europe, Lithuania observes Daylight Saving Time over a slightly different time period than we do in Canada: for a week in March and another week in October the time difference is 1 hour less than in the table below. Saskatchewan does not participate in DST so in the summer the time difference is 1 hour greater.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Lithuanian is Ahead
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||10 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||9 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario, Saskatchewan*)||8 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||7 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||6 hours|
Emergency Contact Information for Canadians in Lithuania
Embassy of Canada in Vilnius
Business Centre 2000, Jogailos St. 4
Telephone: 370 (5) 249-0950
View Larger Map
Emergency Numbers in Lithuania
- *112 – main
- *01 – fire
- *02 – police
- *03 – medical
- *04 – gas
The Government of Canada's Travel Alerts for Lithuania
Sponsoring Your Lithuanian Spouse to Canada
The sponsorship process is lengthy and can be frustrating. To learn more about it, click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in Lithuania? Let us know!